Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center

My grill is on order. I am newish to Kettles (I bought a used one for camp) are there any must have accessories for the WSCG?

I know the Slow and Sear doesn't fit...

Thanks!

Oh gosh, Old Glory , you're going to love the WSCGC. Talk about rock-solid temperatures and convenience. That smoker/cooker/grill has it all, IMO.

You can still find an SnS for it, which is what I would recommend. I think glitchy found a source, as I recall.

Otherwise, outside of a Vortex and that little Weber coal-raking hoe type thingie (sorry to sound so technical ), I've not purchased any other goodies specifically for it.

It's the perfect combo--a 24 inch kettle (not all that much smaller than the 26" kettle with the SnS real estate taken into consideration) plus a wonderful kamado.

You won't regret your purchase.

Have fun with that new toy when it arrives! If you would like to know lighting info for it, just give a holler.

Best wishes,
    Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; October 16, 2019, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, I had never seen the Weber coal raking hoe type thingy, but I typed that into google and it came up lol

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Old Glory , I have the Low Profile SnS for my WSCGC. There are still some Low Profile SnS units out there, but you'll have to troll the interwebs for a hit since glitchy reported today that his source has sold out of them.

Kathryn

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc I found one in Germany but they do not ship to the USA.

I'm green with envy

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats, you're going to love that thing. I havent bought any accessories for my WSCG. It's such a good cooker already, my vote is to save the accessory money and buy a good thermometer set up if you don't have one already.

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a Fireboard that is pretty good. Glad to hear you are loving the grill!

• xaugievike
          xaugievike commented
          Editing a comment
          in that case, spend the money on beer!

Congrats on the new pit, you're going to love it. I just checked the BBQ and Smoke web site and they are out of the SnS Low Profiles now :-( However, Adrenaline does make a charcoal basket that is very similar. In my brief experience, the SnS isn't necessary on the Summit Charcoal, but it is convenient for smaller smoking sessions or intense searing. So, I'd recommend keeping your eyes open for a used one. The basket is a little smaller, doesn't have the water reservoir, and is not made from stainless steel.

If you like chicken wings, legs, and/or thighs, I'd make the same recommendation as @fzxdoc for a vortex and a rake. I do have the Pit Viper fan and Fireboard connected to mine as well. Again, not a necessity, but it is a convenience.

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Will have to check out the Vortex. Which size fits the Summit?

Thanks!

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Medium is what I found was suggested and bought. Seems to be the ideal size to me.

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          I really want the Slow N Sear for two zone cooking. I could probably just use bricks.

The Weber pizza stone insert is a great addition if you like to make pizzas. I use mine often. Haven't pulled the trigger on the Pit Viper fan yet, but it's next on the MAS list.

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Will have to check that out thanks!

Old Glory , I forgot to post the promised lighting tips for the WSCGC, so here they are, better late than never.

Here is the detailed setup/lighting method I use; for me and Mr. Fancypants (my name for my WSCGC), it works great every time:

My Current Kamado Setup Method for Smoking

1. Foil the Ash Bucket and the Diffuser Plate. Wipe the (previously cleaned) grate down with a disinfectant wipe and then wipe down again with water. Set out two medium or one large disposable aluminum pan(s) for drip pans to be set on the diffuser plate. Two medium pans fit perfectly; one large pan may have to be re-shaped a bit to fit over the diffuser area.

2. Use 2.5 black Weber scoops (one scoop is 40 coals or half a standard chimney) for short cooks like ribs or chicken and 4 scoops for long cooks like pork butt, chuck or brisket. Four scoops will give you about 10-12 hours of decent temps (250° or more). Spread them pretty evenly on the charcoal grate. Top with 5-6 chunks of wood (4 to 6 oz each). Don't put a wood chunk directly over the igniter. 5 to 6 chunks will give you about 5 hours of beautiful blue smoke. For short cooks, use 1-2 chunks of wood.

3. Start the SnapJet ignition going. Let it run for exactly 5 minutes with the lid open and bottom vent fully open.

4. After the 5 minute SnapJet-assisted burn, turn off the gas igniter. Add the diffuser plate, the aluminum drip pan(s) and the food grate. Attach the ambient probes to the grate. Close the lid, flip down the top vent but leave the holes fully open (bottom vent still fully open) and watch the temperature climb.

5. When you're about 70 degrees from your goal temperature, close the bottom vent to the smoke setting (or just below if your WSCGC runs hot) and close the top vent to 1/2 or less, again, depending on your Weber. I like to have the lower vent just to the right of the smoke setting mark and the top vent at 1/3 to ride out the cook.

6. Before adding meat, oil the grate with a soaked paper towel to clean it off and give it some lubrication.

If using KBB, here's a ton of white smoke until the Weber gets around 225-250, then it settles out to white wispy/blue smoke for several hours. If the smoke is pure white (no grey), I'll put the cold meat on at 180°F grate level temp so it can get a jump on the smoke flavor. I feel (but don't know for sure) that adding that cold mass helps to keep the temperatures from running away. I've done it both ways--adding the meat early at 180°F and adding it at 225°F, and honestly, if I keep an eye on the temp, I've yet to have a runaway smoker. With B&B Briquettes, there's no billowing white smoke. Just nice smoke pretty much right after shutting off the SnapJet. I use 3 scoops of B&B and one scoop of KBB, because the KBB lights more quickly. Ditto with Weber Briquettes.

Being a PBC type of person, I'm comfortable with smoking in the 270ish range (270 to 300 works well for my tastes, but that's a bit hot for some folks). A 4 scoop load of KBB coals lasts about 8-9 hours at that setting. To get this, I set the lower vent to just above (to the right of) the smoker setting and the upper vent to 1/3 open.

For cooking below 250, I close the lower vent to just below the smoker setting (to the left of it) and set the upper vent to 1/4 open. At 250 or less, I can get about 10-12 hours of smoke out of a single 4-scoop load of coals.

Hope this info helps!

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; October 21, 2019, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Glory View Post
          My grill is on order. I am newish to Kettles (I bought a used one for camp) are there any must have accessories for the WSCG?

I know the Slow and Sear doesn't fit...

Thanks!
          Have had mine for 3 years now. Love it. Adding a FireBoard temp controller with fan is a really valuable addition.

Comment

And a fine choice that is. I love mine.

The charcoal rake is a must...and should have been included by Weber IMO.
            The Vortex is a wing cooking machine!
            The only other specific accessories that I have are the pizza stone & griddle.

I would also recommend a grate lifter. Especially if you think you’ll need to remove the center when it’s hot.
            I also keep a BBQ Dragon on the bottom shelf to kick it into overdrive on occasion.

Comment

My slow and sear works fine and I use it all the time on my WSCG. The grate still spins easily even though it’s about a quarter inch or less higher where it rests on the slow and sear. Enjoy you’re gonna love your new cooker!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here