Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Summit Charcoal Grill - Need help - Exciting arrival day turned sad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Summit Charcoal Grill - Need help - Exciting arrival day turned sad

This was supposed to be an exciting day as my WSCG arrived. However, it apparently took a trip through hell to get here and may have been opened before. This is what the box looked like when I opened it and the damage I’ve found so far.
    Attached Files

I also found this strange bearing in my box. Anyone know a Weber grill that uses this?
    Attached Files

Comment

That strange part and how it looked when I opened it makes me think it was a return. Did anyone else’s WSCG look like that when they first opened it?

Comment

That just really sucks. We get all excited and then this? Hopefully customer service takes care of you!

Comment

Bummer, friend! Well at least you have the pics documented well, Weber will most likely ask for pics of the damaged area(s), they did when I had a return of a much more minor issue. Sorry to hear about the frustration, what a let down.

Comment

Beer and 1-800

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol!

I really disappointed, but not angry. I have already talked to Weber and they say too many parts are damaged to help me and say that I have to return it to the retailer. I'm fine with that response, but really really frustrated at all the work I have to do to tear it apart, box it up and get it to UPS. I'm also very disappointed because I bought this sooner so I could use it a bunch over the long weekend. I'll probably return it and stick with what I already have.

Still really wondering about that strange part. It's like it was returned and someone threw an extra part in the box they wanted to return to, but I cannot find any single sign of another shipping label on the box, double tape, etc. Weber denied any knowledge of what that part was as I sent them a picture of it to see if their quality control could possible be this bad. Let's just say though that the grill only went from Huntley to Waukegan by freight and from there to Des Moines by UPS. It shouldn't have had this difficult of a trip.

Comment

• ScottyC13
              ScottyC13 commented
              Editing a comment
              The strange part is a bearing of sorts for a square shaft. Can this come with a rotisserie?

It stinks when shipped items are damaged. I had trouble with steel shelving from Home Depot and I picked it up at the store!!

That sux!

Comment

By all means call my 22 came with a seriously warped lid and they replaced it no questions asked.

Comment

Being in the courier profession what happened to your BBQ can be par for the course.
                Box split open went to repack area along with other fatalities.
                Somewhere there's a guy needing a bearing and has Weber somethingorother in his box.

Comment

Well, it is a disc harrow bearing... so what the heck is that?

Disc harrow bearing, with a 1-inch square bearing bore, is constructed with high quality ball bearings, heavy gauge housings and molded rubber inner seal for durability and long life. These disc harrow bearings are strong enough to protect your disc harrow from both moisture and dirt. Whether used for loosening soil clumps in packed earth, chopping up old crops such as corn, or just using to make future crops easier to plow by eliminating clumps, the disc harrow bearing will keep your disc harrow running efficiently.

Comment

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Obviously a useful item, just not for a Weber
                    That bearings made in China too....Trumps gunna flip....

Oh what a bummer. I know the excitement firsthand of WSCGC arrival day. I purchased mine from a Weber retailer and had them assemble and deliver it to my house, so I never saw what it looked like in the box. Assembly was only $40 as I recall, and it was delivered all swaddled in those quilted movers blankets so it was pristine. Sounds like yours has already had a rough young life. smokin fool has a good plausible scenario.

Hope you get everything straightened out all right and that your next delivery brings the joy you deserved with this one.

Kathryn

Comment

This is a perfect example why I don't buy high priced items and have them delivered direct. If possible, I have them delivered for in-store pick up to one of the big box stores. That way I can see the condition before it comes home. If I see something not right after I get it home it's much easier to physically return it without having to worry about re-packaging it just so.

Comment

• glitchy
                      glitchy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep, I'm always leery of it. It was just too convenient to use Amazon's 0% financing when local dealers wouldn't offer anything but delivery as incentive to buy from them instead of online. On the contrary, I also usually prefer to assemble things myself, then I learn more about the product and don't find missing parts or stripped out bolts years later. In this case though, that was the wrong decision.

After dwelling on this overnight, I'm much more frustrated this morning. I've decided that Weber really doesn't know how to package products for online retail and residential shipping services. I've bought 5 Weber grills over the past 3 years. 3 from online shipped via UPS and FedEx, 2 in stores. All three of the Webers shipped had broken and scratched parts (the first two grills Weber just sent me replacements), both of the grills that I bought in store were perfectly fine. My feeling is their packaging is designed to be handled by the pallet and commercial carriers until it reaches a store. My Peformer had a scratched lid and broken rail on the cart. My Spirit has a good dent on the cart base out of the box, then this. I thought for sure when I ordered this (and having seen pictures of the Grilling Center's box appearing to be based on a wooden pallet) that they packaged this like a premium product since it is supposed to be one.

I'm also concerned that Weber QC is a joke. I went out and looked at the box multiple times last night for any sign that it traveled any further than Weber to Amazon to me. There's no covered labels, no marks I could find on the box where old labels had been removed, and only single layers of tape sealing the box. That bearing flange was likely dropped into the box at the factory and flopped around scratching up parts all the way from China and smashing all the cardboard spacers/holders so other parts started flopping around too. It weighs at least a couple pounds.

And this point I'm telling myself not to act rashly because I want to dump every Weber product I own and cancel all my Prime subscriptions. I'm am mad that it's up to me to disassemble this thing, box it back up and get it to a UPS store myself. Hopefully, I can find a vehicle that it will fit into. I think the box is too big for my Outback.

And don't get me started on the turd colored shipping service. I knew I likely was going to be in for a treat when he showed up and was immediately griping about how heavy it was. He probably flipped it over a few times during the day and slammed on the brakes every chance he got out of spite. Then he gripes at the customer about it? Like I get to choose how it's delivered.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I'm just frazzled that I have to make new plans for the long weekend and hassle someone else to help me return this to UPS. Luckily, I didn't have a bunch of meat out thawing already. If you buy a Weber Product, might I suggest a brick retail location that has it on the shelf and if a Summit product have it assembled and delivered. For me, off to research other brands and sellers. Who has the Adrenaline Kamado?

Comment

I am so sorry this happened to you. That thing went through the grinder and was handled by people who couldn't care less about the quality of their work. By that I mean the shipping leg of the process. I recently ordered some very expensive skylights for a project and when they arrived it was clear that at some point some a$$hole ran over the stack with a forklift and broke 2 of them. Instead of dealing with it then, they just shrink-wrapped the whole mess and sent it on. The difference for me was that the manufacturer replaced the broken ones immediately.

My experience with the WSCG was the complete opposite. I thought it was packaged well enough to endure some rough handling, but it looks like yours went through some extreme abuse. Mine came via common carrier who are better equipped to handle heavier loads. Everything was intact and undamaged. It went together pretty easily and I really enjoy using it.

I would be very suspicious of UPS at this point and perhaps you might give them a call. Our UPS facility is very good about handling packages and customer service, but I'm sure they're not all the same. Still, it couldn't hurt at this point.

I'm so disappointed for you, I think you would have really enjoyed using the WSCG. I hope everyone in this process works hard to make you whole.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here