Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone share Weber Summit Charcoal fan port pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone share Weber Summit Charcoal fan port pictures?

I keep watching for a deal on a WSCG or WSCGC on Craigslist and am looking for a little more information before one shows up to know if I ever really want one or not. I want to see the port to connect a Pit Viper fan. I've seen multiple posts referring to it coming with one. I don't seem to have a local dealer that keeps a floor model to see for myself and have not had any luck searching correctly to find an already posted picture. Would one of you on here that has one be willing to snap a photo?

Also, how/where do you run your probe ports on this? The Weber site and display pamphlets really don't show either or talk about them. This is not the type of pit you'd want to take a drill to.

Calling on CaptainMike , I believe he has that setup on his WSCG, but I could be wrong. I can tell you that Weber does not build in a fan port for any of its cookers. I have two WSM's that have the 3-ports on the bottom, you choose one and block the other two. On my 3 kettles, I had to physically drill a 1" hole at the bottom third of each kettle wall to accommodate the fan ports for my Pit Viper. It's not difficult, just have to have a step bit.

As to probe ports it's the same thing. You can close the lid on the wires on a WSCG, it has that large lid gasket to seal them off. But again, you can drill a hole in the side wall to 1-1/4" and install a Weber probe bladder that's made for the WSM.

Good luck finding a used WSCG, they are almost impossible to find around these parts.

Comment

You can do this on a 26" kettle for cheaper and gain more grilling area.

I post this in an attempt to help our newbies (to which I once was a short time ago) not feel so overwhelmed on the topic of selecting a cooker that is right for them. There are a lot of “looking for advice on a cooker” posts from newbies and seasoned vets looking to expand their arsenal. Obviously, the choices and opinions

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the 26" better than the 22" for fan port location. On the 22" you have to locate the port at the stopping point of the sweep blades. On the 26" I found there was space between the top of the blades and the bottom of the fire grate. I spotted the port directly across from my SNS insead of slightly to the side on my 22".

• Rod
        Rod commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman Yep yep. Same here.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm more interested in the insulation, the hinged lid, etc. With my severe MCS, capacity usually isn't too much of an issue, I'll fire up a second grill when space is needed. I do like the 26" though. That with a Slow 'N Sear and BBQ Guru could definitely be the only grill many people would ever need.

BBQ Guru says it will work: https://bbqguru.com/storenav/gurucoo...09&ProductId=0

THe WSCG lid has a thick strip of insulation around the lip which allows you to run probes under the lid without pinching the wires. Alternatively you could run them through the dampers.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
        Good luck finding a used WSCG, they are almost impossible to find around these parts.
        I haven't seen any recently. Luckily, I'm not in any hurry. I just really like how this looks, love Weber stuff, and see a lot of people rave about Komado style cookers and figure this would be better than ceramic where I live and that I seem to cook more in the winter usually than the summer.

I don't really count on finding one used, but figure there might be another decent chance as summer is about over and some crazy people start selling grills they don't use enough thinking they don't want to put them away for the winter.
        Last edited by glitchy; August 13, 2019, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I thought of another store to check over my lunch break today that wasn't listed on Weber's dealer info. They just happened to have one there and I could see there is a built in port with a little plug pretty close to where the lp charcoal igniter burner enters the grill. Looks like you just pop that out and put the BBQ Guru adapter there.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Hah! I was writing my response while you were posting this.

• au4stree
            au4stree commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s it, you found it.

I don't have the Pit Viper fan yet, but they make an adapter for the WSCG. Probe wires are captured by the gasket and it works very well. I would NOT recommend drilling into the WSCG as it is unnecessary and you would likely encounter some problems with the double walled construction. I absolutely love the WSCG and it would be worth the full price, but keep looking around for deal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan port 1.jpg
Views:	4195
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	729784
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan port 2.jpg
Views:	3734
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	729785

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I didn't take a picture at the store, so this will help someone else that finds this thread. Every employee in there asked me 2-3 times if they could help me, was starting to freak me out.

Here's a "how to" video:

All I did to find this link was highlight "Weber Summit fan port" from the title of this topic. Then I right clicked on that and one of the choices was "search the internet". I clicked on that and the above link popped up.
          Last edited by RonB; August 13, 2019, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• Bbqmikeg
            Bbqmikeg commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey! That’s my video! I was pretty excited when I bought it. The funny thing is the Summit runs so well on its own I seldom use the DigiQ. For the love of all things holy don’t drill a port hole!

Originally posted by glitchy View Post

Also, how/where do you run your probe ports on this? The Weber site and display pamphlets really don't show either or talk about them. This is not the type of pit you'd want to take a drill to.
          I’m a Summit owner, love my cooker. DO NOT drill your Summit, when you find one. There is in fact a hole for a fan. It is right next to the snap jet gas starter. It comes from factory with a silver plug, just pop it out and insert the blower.
          See schematic, I’m at work and can’t take a pic.

edited to add: I just recently got a fan and intend to hook it up this weekend, it worked perfectly on my PK360. When I run wires from my Smoke thermometer, the WSCGC lid insulation handles it fine.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by au4stree; August 13, 2019, 12:06 PM. Reason: Edited to add additional content.

Comment

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            Just went out to my Performer Deluxe hoping that there was a magic hole no one noticed before in that spot. No luck, lol.

Below you will find a thread a while ago where I posted a pic of my Pit Viper attached to my WSCGC. I have more on here but can't seem to find them yet. The setup is fantastic!

Been looking around the old interweb and forums for any feedback on the FireBoard fan. Can't seem to find much. I know back in December I think lonnie mac was all over that but

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought about mentioning you, thanks for chiming in.

Since the recent update to this grill, is the port still there for 2021 Gen 2 models?

Comment

rpadole I haven’t heard of it being removed, but hopefully someone that has the E6/S6 can confirm. The Marshal maybe?

Comment

I will take some pics. Mine has a fan port. I run probe wires under the lid no problem.

Comment

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                I think rpadole is just looking to confirm the hole is still there on the new Kamado E6/S6 and that they didn’t removing the feature. You still have original, right?

• Old Glory
                Old Glory commented
                Editing a comment
                glitchy yes I have the original.

• Old Glory
                Old Glory commented
                Editing a comment
                glitchy I called Weber to see if the new ones had the port. The lady on the phone said they do have one. But she didn't sound confident. Seeing is really knowing.

I too called Weber customer service. My rep said it does NOT have the fan port on the latest model.
              I then checked on BILT the assembly application with 3D product views. No port could be seen.
              Then I checked the App for the previous Summit Gen1 version and the fan port is clearly visible in the drawing render.

Not good! The only left is too find one on display. But it would appear the fan port is now gone!

Comment

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                I’d really like to hear from a new owner or to see one. I can’t imagine them removing it. Even with the first gen is was hard to get a clear answer from Weber on it as it’s never been a touted feature, that’s why I started this thread.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                This is bad news... I sure wouldn't want to drill through a double walled cooker like the Summit, as there would be a gap that is not sealed, pretty much screwing up the insulation effect of the air gap.

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris The very bottom of the bowl is actually not double walled. At least on the first gen, the fan port is just below where the double wall starts. It’s also an open double wall on the bowl so heat from the fire fills the gap with hot air. If the bowl hasn’t changed, drilling wouldn’t be that bad, but still nerve racking on that expensive of grill. Max Good was told by Weber that the hole is still there though on new Kamado.

I'm so glad that Weber has really cleared this up with the latest generation of the product

I went and looked at Weber's site and this pic should clearly show the fan port. So, they've either air-brushed it out, moved it to a different location, or removed it: https://product-images.weber.com/Gri...press%2cformat

However, I've seen references in multiple places to it still being there. Here's a reddit where it's mentioned multiple times: https://www.reddit.com/r/BBQ/comment...ew_and_xl_bge/

As well, some sellers specifically list it as a feature. ABT has it as the last item in the feature list: https://www.abt.com/Weber-Summit-Kam.../p/155532.html
              Last edited by glitchy; September 2, 2021, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here