Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Some Kamado/WSCG Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Some Kamado/WSCG Advice

Thermoworks recently emailed a great Chicken Tikka Masala recipe and I decided to give it a go a couple of days ago. In their instructions they state that you could use a kamado (or in my case a WSCG) like a tandoor and carefully insert skewers of chicken tikka through the wide open top vent.

I dumped a whole chimney of well-lit Weber Pro briquettes, set the baffle plate and grate, and ran it wide open until the dome hit 600F. I had 4 skewers of chicken, but decided to do 2 at a time. The first 2 came off great, but then the fire started to die off very quickly to the point I could no longer use it. This was probably 30 minutes into the cook.

My question is what is the best way to get that ripping hot and maintain it over a longer period of time. Should I dump lit coals on a load of unlit? Vice-versa? Lottsa lumps? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

For those interested, here's the link to the recipe. It was a little labor-intensive but the flavors were truly amazing: https://blog.thermoworks.com/chicken...27483637319688

Oh, and the link to Meathead's Garam Masala recipe (it made the house smell awesome!): https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...tone-rub-india

Comment

In my opinion (that will get promptly roasted) would be to tell you to use lump. Less ash to effect the airflow. Especially in a Kamodo where the air flow is low. A high quality lump is also advised. Like FOGO, B&B or Rockwood. I routinely bake cast iron pans in my kamodos for hours on end at 500 F with out a problem with the fuels listed above. And that is all I am going to say about that. (Forest Gump voice)

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't own a WSCG so maybe they are different, but I could never really get a good steady burn in my kamados using briquettes. Thunder77

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with Spinaker, get some good quality lump.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks guys!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here