Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center) + (SnS Lo-Profile) = Good Eats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last weekend I did 3 pastramis on the WSCGC + SnS combo, and they turned out great! I was in the mood for experimenting so here's the setup:

Pastrami #1: Store-bought corned beef soaked for 12 hours+ Dry rub (Meathead's recipe) stored uncovered in fridge for 48 hours + Smoke on WSCGC+SnS for 9 hours (to 200°F internal) + wrapped in foil, placed in freezer for 3 hours, then moved to fridge until supper the next day.

Pastrami #2: Store-bought corned beef soaked for 12 hours + Sous Vide at 150°F/36hrs + Ice bath + Apply rub + Store uncovered in fridge 24 hours + Smoke on WSCGC+SnS to 165°F internal (2 hours) + wrapped in foil, placed in freezer for 3 hours, then moved to fridge until supper the next day.

Pastrami #3: Clint Cantwell's method all the way : Store-bought corned beef soaked for 12 hours + Sous Vide at 150°F/36hrs + Ice bath + stored in SVbag in fridge 24 hours + Remove from bag, dried off, add rub + Smoke on WSCGC+SnS to 165°F internal (took 2 hours) + wrapped in foil, placed in freezer for 3 hours, then moved to fridge until supper the next day.

Basically, I SVd two of the pieces #2 and #3, placed rub on one for a 24 hr-uncovered-in-the-fridge stay and left the second one in the SV bag in the fridge for 24 hours (per Clint's recipe) and applied rub to it just before adding to the smoker.

The third piece, #1, was done the way I always to pastrami: take all the way on the smoker, unwrapped, to probe tenderness.

Results:

The day after the smoke, I sliced all 3 pieces cold and made Reuben sammies with them, on the panini press. I did not heat or steam the meat before adding to the sammies. Slices were 1/4 inch thick. The pastrami heated to a beautiful tenderness in the sammie with the heat from the panini press alone.

1. The differences between the three for taste, moistness and tenderness was minimal enough to attribute to different pieces of meat only. Take home message: all three cooking methods did equally well.

2. The bark was best on Pastrami # 1 and #2. I couldn't tell the difference in bark quality between the two. #3, where the rub was added just before placing it on the cooker had a bark that was OK but wanted to come off as I sliced it.

3. All three pieces lost about 50% of their trimmed weight during smoking.

What did I learn?

That I can sous vide + smoke or smoke all the way and have equal results. That means if I'm cooking for company and need a more predictable Meat ETA, then the sous vide + smoke method would be the best. Otherwise, I just enjoy smoking the meat all the way.

That for good bark with the sous vide method, let the rub sit on the uncovered piece of meat in fridge for 24 hours before smoking.

Photos:
    Sorry I don't have any photos of the sliced meat--I was too busy making the Ruben sammie + French Onion Soup dinner to take any.

Here are photos of the meat smoking along to deliciousness just about 2 hours into the cook.

#2 and #3, the sous vided pieces are ready to remove from the smoker. The "my bite" and #3 will go all the way to probe tenderness at 200°F which will be 7 hours after this photo was taken.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pastramis 1 2 and 3  on WSCGC and SnS.jpg Views:	1 Size:	247.9 KB ID:	317416

And the look of the two sous vided pieces with rub put on right before smoking vs. put on 24 hours before:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pastramis 2 and 3 annotated.jpg Views:	1 Size:	221.9 KB ID:	317417

A note about using the SnS with the WSCGC--The SnS is so easy to set up and quick to get on its way to smoking. The flavor profiles compared to other pastramis done on the WSCGC are about the same, as I recall.

I'm still working on nailing solid temps with the SnS but I'm getting closer with each cook.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; May 13, 2017, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Craigar, it was sooo delicious. It took almost the same amount of time as the large piece because of its thickness. It was a small piece of the point that was attached to the flat.

K.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Kathryn! Very much enjoy th' info, an' science experiments!!!
      Always enjoy yer posts!!!!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Mr. Bones!

Excellent experiment! Thanks for the details. My next pastrami will be next week. Smoke all the way!

Comment

I am comparing the pastrami recipe on the AR site to Meatheads book. The book does not mention letting the cornbeef sit in the fridge unwrapped for 48 hours. Is this an essential step in the process?

Comment

Randy-Phx ,The longer you let the rubbed coned beef sit, uncovered, in the fridge (up to 24-48 hours, that is), the tighter the bark, at least in my experience. This is especially helpful if you're going to steam your pastrami, which usually softens the bark.

Just my 2 pennies' worth.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks Kathryn. I'm cooking tomorrow after 48 hours with the rub on in the fridge. Did you smoke until an IT of 203 and then steam to an IT temp of 203 the next day, or did you smoke to IT of 160 and then smoke to 203? Another difference in the 2 recipes.

Comment

Randy-Phx Sorry not to have gotten back to you, but I'm away from home and not able to check in as often.

To answer your question, I always smoke pastrami, without wrapping, to probe tenderness, which is usually between 195 and 205, most often around 200ish.

I don't steam my pastrami because it softens the bark, causing some or most of it to slide off, at least in my experience. I slice and serve right off the smoker.

If I'm serving it on the following day, I chill, slice the chilled meat, and make pastrami reuben sandwiches from it on my panini press. I take the chill off the slices for 20 seconds or so in the microwave before adding them to the sandwiches on the way to the panini press. I've always said that I don't see what steaming brings to the pastrami party, at least the way I serve it.

That said, a lot of folks here swear by steaming the pastrami, taking it to 160 on the smoker and then steaming it to 203. Meathead's original recipe was open to both interpretations that you mention, and at one point he clarified the process with the smoke to 160+ steam the next day to 203. If I find that post I'll post a link.

Hope your pastrami turned out perfect!

Kathryn

Edited to add: here's the Meathead post that I was referring to, as I recall.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...908#post476908
            Last edited by fzxdoc; July 10, 2018, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I didn't read the full thread until now. What a great read! Thanks for posting all your findings Kathryn! I'm not keen on buying the WSCG anytime soon (it's silly expensive here in Sweden), but when I do, I'll be sure to get the SnS with it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here