Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSCG and charcoal consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSCG and charcoal consumption

Was working on making some Chinese BBQ pork and was cooking it low and slow. Started with 25 briquets of Kingsford Pro since according to the recipe the cook should only take about 1.5 hours or so. About an 1.5 hours in, the temp began creeping down. Did the vent adjustments and finally came to the conclusion that my fire was dwindling and going out. Meat never did get up to temp even though the cooker stayed at temp for two hours.

So my question is this, is there some way that I can determine how much coal that I will need for a given cook? Are there any rules of thumb for the amount of coal that I start out with? I don't mind burning the coal but don't want to waste it either.

I have read that folks have had fire in the WSCG for many hours at a time with no recharging the charcoal supply. Makes me wonder how much charcoal was used at the beginning. Was that an unrealistic amount of charcoal for that length of smoke?

I usually load it pretty full and get low'n'slow temps by just adding a few lit coals in the center of the pile. When I'm done I just close off the vents and re-use leftover charcoal on the next cook. Works with both briquettes and lump.

I did a better description at post #61 in this thread

HTH, enjoy your SCG!
    Bill

Comment

In the WSCG manual Weber gives detailed recommendations on how much charcoal to use. For 1 to 2.5 hrs they recommend 60 to 80 briquettes or 1 3/4 scoops. Better to have too much than not enough although with the hinged grate and diffuser you can easy add more as needed.

Comment

• Porterdriver
        Porterdriver commented
        Editing a comment
        And you actually thought that I read the manual? Clearly I have a proven track record of not reading for comprehension! Yes, I found it. Didn't see the column showing charcoal quantities. I am abashed.

• mjkelch
        mjkelch commented
        Editing a comment
        I too follow the recommendations in the manual regarding number of scoops. Have done a six hour cook with no charcoal additions.

• Porterdriver
        Porterdriver commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, thanks again, all. I have done a couple of minor cooks with the recommended amount of coals and everything is good now. Amazing how that works!

Maybe you're dehydrated?
      Last edited by Max Good; September 6, 2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Porterdriver
        Porterdriver commented
        Editing a comment
        Distinct possibility that my alcohol titre has dropped precipitously to a dangerous low. I will attempt to rehydrate!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here