Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center Cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center Cooks

Well, I'm starting this out by saying that my husband was right when he asked for smoked chicken for our July 4th feast. It turned out sooooo good, and I'm so happy to have been able to cook it on my new WSCGC. For the record, I wanted to do a couple of pork butts. Suffice to say that my pork butt day will come, but yesterday it was a lot of fun to smoke this bird.

Here's an action shot of my prep work:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cook 3 July 4 2016.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	190963

and here's the final result before we pounced:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cook 3 July 4 2016 chicken 2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	190964

I always thought that the PBC made the best smoked chicken ever, and perhaps it still does. But this one was doggone close if not right on the money.

I kept everything the same as I do when preparing a chicken for the PBC (dry brined 24 hours in advance with PBC's All Purpose rub) just so I'd be able to compare chickens to chickens, as it were.

This bird was so tender and so juicy, and the skin was nice and crisp. My husband and I were grabbing any undefended chicken skin off of each other's plates, it was that good.

I'm loving the real estate of this Summit cooking grate too.

It was pretty easy to keep the temps up around 350 for the whole cook, which took about 1.5 hours for a 6 lb spatchcocked chicken. The chicken weighed 7lbs 4oz before I removed all of its packaged innards and cut out the backbone.

Of course I had a couple of snafus as I hoisted myself a couple of notches up the learning curve, but I expected that. It was a really fun cook. I had a ball.

Kathryn

Mods: I didn't know whether to put this post under Kettles or Kamados, so I just left it in the General Charcoal section. Hope that's all right.

Man I am jealous. I don't know what looks best the chicken or the cooker? Great job

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      The Weber is a great looking cooker!

One word: AWESOMENESS!! πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž Wait, is that a word?? 😝😝

Comment

Beautiful, delicious, juicy and crispy skin. Doesn't get any better than that. Congrats on the cook!

Comment

- Kathryn, that is simply a beautiful cook. I love spatchcocked chicken and that is one of the better birds I've seem Kudos to you. How you top this cook, I don't know, but I'm willing to look! Congrats.

Comment

That's one sexy looking bird fzxdoc .

Comment

Just BEAUTIFUL!

Comment

That bird is/was a beaut!

Comment

Nice cook, very nice! One thing everyone's missed is that first picture titled your "prep work". It is a picture of your beautiful cooker and a beer.πŸ˜†

You know how to prep a cook right girl!!! No one can cook right without proper hydration, right?😎

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Plus did you notice the lovely smoke coming out of the top vent of the Weber?

Thanks, Breadhead, for the kudos.

Kathryn

Nice cook. I did the same thing on my Weber gas grill on Sunday. I had one burner lit and a triangle wood holder that goes between the flavor bars and over the one lit burner. The one burner kept the grill about 325 the whole cook. Chicken was great. As usual forgot pictures.

Comment

Thanks, all for the lovely compliments on my Virgin Bird Smoke on the WSCGC. You guys are the best.

I can see why people like to buy additional smokers and grills; it's so much fun learning how to tame this new beast.

Kathryn

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Welcome to the MCS club Kathryn...πŸ˜†

Is a beautiful chicken! I hope you don't abandon us blue collar PBC peeps!

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Never!

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here