Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First pizza on a charcoal grill #WSCG.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First pizza on a charcoal grill #WSCG.

So here is my first attempt at pizza on the WSCG.

The setup was I used the lower charcoal grate level with the diffuser plate, and added some kingsford and a bit of that new charbroil lump (interesting product, very homogeneous size, but expensive).

I made a white sauce veggie pizza for my wife and a pepperoni mushroom pizza for me and my son.

Heated the WSCG above 600 f (which I now realize is difficult to see in the following picture)

Put on the stone

White pizza mid cook.

Pepperoni mushroom nearly done

White pizza done

Pepperoni mushroom done

Crust check (white pizza)

All in all it was a sucessful outing. I actually intended to make three pizzas, but ruined the first effort (cheese pizza) by not letting the crust cook fully before trying to remove the pan and have the crust crisp up directly on the stone. I also think 600 f is to high a temp to cook this pizza, as the toppings cooked so much faster than the crust. Oh well something to work on.

One last thought, I didn't have the "wood fired" taste I was looking for, so next time I will put in some wood chunks before I throw on the pie.

Way to go!!!

Comment

Looks pretty good, though ... and yeah ... you were probably about 100 deg. too warm.

Comment

How long did you let the stone preheat? I've found that preheating in the oven then moving to the grill helps a bit with getting the stone's temp high enough.

Almost forgot - great looking pies.

Comment

• wbzipf
          wbzipf commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, good question. I only let the stone preheat for like 15 min before I threw on the first pie, probably not long enough.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I normally let the stone preheat for at least an hour. Most of this time could easily be done in your oven if necessary. Do make sure you have multiple layers of protection for you hands when you move it though.

That pizza pie sure looks good from the seats here in OKC! Congrats!

Comment

Good looking pizza. You can cook at a higher temp if you want. Is that cooking on a pan?

Comment

Great looking pizza pies.👍

I've found it necessary to preheat my pizza stone for at least 45 minutes to get it hot enough to cook pizza on. You also might want to try putting your pizza on parchment paper or a silicon baking mat instead of your pizza pan.

I use IFR thermometer to check the heat of my pizza stone too.
            Last edited by Breadhead; May 29, 2016, 10:19 PM.

Comment

That's a really good-looking pie. Pre-heat the stone at 550 for an hour and you'll get a darker crust. Other than that, it looks perfect!

Comment

All, thanks for the advice! Next time the stone will definitely be preheated for 45 -60 min before hand!

Comment

Originally posted by wbzipf View Post
                  All, thanks for the advice! Next time the stone will definitely be preheated for 45 -60 min before hand!
                  I think you'll like the results after making that modification.

Comment

wbzipf. Just did my 3rd cook on the WCS. Hope you are using a scale to make the dough. A wet dough seems to make a difference...So basically. I put a full lit chimney on the bottom, then save a few to light a few up top on the ring...Add an oak wood chuck or 2 to the ring, and you got one hot fire. Keep the vent on top lifted and wide open...That pizza will be done in 2-3min. I will take a few pictures next time...Sorry...

Comment

• wbzipf
                      wbzipf commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep, I have learned enough to know that pizza dough is best measured by weight and not volume. I like your cooking process and will have to try it next time.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here