Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charcoal Summit has arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal Summit has arrived!

After spending Saturday morning making space for the Summit, I drove down to Workbench Ace Hardware on Roswell Rd.(Atlanta) and picked up my SCGC in the box(that was the only way to fit it into the back of the 4Runner and we had to put it in on its' side). It's a BIG box.

I let it sleep in the car Saturday night, got up Sunday to drag it out and put it together. The dragging out took some effort, the assembly went fine thanks to Weber's packaging and instructions although I wish they would have included a list of which box to look in for which piece. All-in-all, in a couple hours I had it put together and rolled into it's space on the new grilling patio. I threw in a full chimney of KBB and lit it with the built-in starter, spread it out and closed the lid with the vents full open. It got up to 500 degrees on the lid thermometer next time I checked but I wasn't keeping track of time.

I had a couple racks of Last Meal Ribs prepped that I was going to cook on the WSM but I decided to cook them on the Summit so after the initial load burned out and the grill had cooled down I followed the Weber instructions, piled up 2-1/4 of the supplied scoops and lit it with the internal gas starter at 12:55. I decided to try for a 250-275 cook since it was already afternoon and I wanted to eat before dark. Five minutes later I had part of the pile lit and I didn't want things to get too hot so I scattered the coals, closed the lid and left both vents full open. At 1:10 I added hot water to the drip pans and set the lower vent on the smoke setting and the top vent to 1/3, let it stabilize and put in the Tappecue probe. Ribs went on at 1:30, probe temp was 241. I struggled a little dealing with the rain but managed to get most of he cook at around 260.

I could go on and bore you to tears but to summarize: the first rack passed the crack test at 5:30, the second came off a 6:00. It rained lightly for an hour or so during the cook. Ribs were tender, good bite but not much chew. SHMBO said they were the best ribs I ever cooked and she's pretty particular.

I left the vents where they were to see how long the initial load could go, at 7:45 temp had dropped to 250, at 8:30 it had dropped to 200.

First impressions:

This is one helluva well-built grill. Doesn't shimmy and shake like the Performer when you brush the grate, weighs a lot more and feels like it does.

It holds heat well, recovers from opening and futzing with food quickly. And it doesn't overshoot when you have it open for a couple minutes moving food around and put the lid back on. The other side is that if you do cool it off or overheat it it won't recover as quickly as a kettle or WSM, there's a lot more thermal mass in this grill to heat or cool down.

All in all, I'm pleased with the grill and I think it's well worth the cost. About the only improvement I'd like to see is a one-piece cooking grate, I've never been a fan of the Gourmet system and it's a stone bitch to clean.

Have pics but this post is already too long, ask if you're interested.

Best,
    Bill

Last edited by billg71; May 15, 2016, 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Great summary, thanks for the info. One question I have is does it come with two charcoal baskets like the performers do? If so are they larger than the performer's baskets?

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      wbzipf, The Summit Charcoal Grilling Center I looked at this AM had Two Charcoal Baskets and appeared to be Larger and Deeper than the
      ones that came with my Performer Deluxe last fall! Hope this helps you! From Fargo ND, Dan

• billg71
      billg71 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it does. Same Char-Baskets as the Performer. Same as the ones you can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's.
      Last edited by billg71; May 3, 2016, 07:57 PM.

Congrats on your new toy

Comment

billg71 - nice review; thanks for taking the time and thought to share with us.

Congrats on your new cooker! Now we look forward to seeing your cooks!

Comment

@billig71, Congrats on your Weber Summit! I have only seen One in the Fargo-Moorhead Area to date! It was at a Scheel's Ace Hardware's BBQ Open House and had just arrived! They had just got it Assembled and on the Floor as the Open House Started! They hadn't even put a Price Tag on It? I haven't been back to see if they have received any more or sold the One they got! Perhaps Today?
      Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

@billq71
        Please share this on my SCG review pages.

Comment

• billg71
          billg71 commented
          Editing a comment
          Be glad to, Max.

Sheels Harware Fargo does have a Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center in Stock! Scheels is an Ace Hardware affiliate through out North Dakota, Western Minnesota and North Western Iowa? A separate entity is Scheels All Sports and operates in generally the same area plus Las Vegas NV? Scheel's began as a small MN town hardware store in Sabin MN! I once was acquainted with Mr. Scheels now long gone! I'd love to buy a Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center but @$1999.99 I either have to take up Bank Robbery or wait until they show up on the Blvd during Clean Up Week! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan
        Last edited by Danjohnston949; May 3, 2016, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Dan...

Wait until someone else robs the bank and then buys this very expensive cooker. After he is arrested and his stuff gets auctioned off you can buy it for pennies on the dollar.😆

OK, some pics:

Da Box:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	163727

Da UnBox:

Name:	IMG_0201.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	163728

Down to the basics, I really liked that the main chassis came assembled from the factory:

Name:	IMG_0202.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	163729

I got it built up to the rolling stage and moved it to the patio to finish:

Name:	IMG_0203.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	163730

And here it is, just about finished(notice that it almost fills the same space as the Performer and WSM 18.5):

Name:	IMG_0205.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	163731

And the results of the first cook, Meathead's Last Meal Ribs, no sauce:

Name:	IMG_0208.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	163732

And a closeup:

Name:	IMG_0207.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	163733

The assembly instructions were excellent but I wish Weber had included directions on which part was in which box(I think I said that before). There are boxes within boxes and I guess it would take up a garage floor to unbox everything at once and spread it out. So there was some hunting around but not annoyingly so, it took a couple hours start to finish.

I think I'll keep this one!

Thanks to all for the replies and comments,

Bill
        Last edited by billg71; May 3, 2016, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• billg71
          billg71 commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc it wasn't too bad as those things go. I've had Ikea stuff that was a nightmare! Download the manual from the Weber site and give it a lookover. The supplied wrench is useless, you'll need a 7/16" socket and the same size box-end wrench. A ratcheting box-end is nice.
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; May 5, 2016, 10:39 AM. Reason: fzxdoc correction

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          @fzxdoc

Hilarious! Sorta kinda reminiscent of the time, shortly after we were married, when a game of Backgammon almost resulted in divorce. We have never played since.

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          JeffJ the key is to play strip backgammon as it is hard to argue without your clothes on.

Just to be "fair and balanced" there are a couple things I don't like about the SCGC:

The supplied charcoal bin is just chintzy. The lid doesn't seal, it snaps on but then just rattles around, the plastic is thin. I seriously doubt it would keep the charcoal inside from soaking up humidity in the middle of a Georgia summer. I use it to store the CharBaskets that came with the grill and wood chunks since I don't mind if they get a bit humid. At least with the loose-fitting lid they should get some air and not mildew. There are also a couple of bent-up tabs in the shelf that keep it from sliding in too far, unfortunately they keep my Kingsford charcoal caddies(which do seal) from sliding in far enough. And a couple of angles to slide on would be nice, I've already scratched the shelf from sliding the bin in and out after setting it down on the patio and picking up some grit. Yeah, I know: first-world problems.

Ditto for chintzy on the wire basket substitute for a proper drawer. Sliding it in it wiggles and binds if you don't get even pressure exactly in the center. The basket is well made and looks durable, I would have expected a real drawer with real slides on a grill at this price point.

That's about it for the don't likes, there's one thing I'd like to see either provided or as an accessory: A stainless hinged grate minus the Gourmet system. Maybe ABC can come up with a replacement, I emailed them and volunteered to be a beta tester.

As far as the gas starter goes, I could take it or better yet leave it. I can see their reasoning for including it, the top-line Performer has it so they have to put it in the new grill. My limited experience with the grill leaves me thinking I won't throw away my chimney starters anytime soon.

Despite the gripes, I'm awesomely impressed with the grill, Weber hit a grand slam with this one!

Best,
        Bill
        Last edited by billg71; May 4, 2016, 07:52 PM.

Comment

What a beauty! Congratulations! I am sooooo jealous, I wonder if I could switch out my performer without the hubby noticing!😎

Comment

Thanks for the additional info, billg71 . I'm on the leading edge of pulling the trigger on this one, and hope to see one IRL on an upcoming trip to Greenville, SC, the closest vendor so far that has it in stock. That's a 2.5 hour drive. In the meanwhile I'm going to go look at the manual as you suggested.

Kathryn

Comment

Excellent hands on review!! Good to hear insider information on products like this. You should Send some more pictures of it in action. I would also like to see some pictures of the inside of the cooker too.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                Excellent hands on review!! Good to hear insider information on products like this. You should Send some more pictures of it in action. I would also like to see some pictures of the inside of the cooker too.
                I second this request for more pics.

Comment

OK, more pics. Saturday Night Burgers tonight along with grilled red potatoes. Set the grill up for reverse-sear with a small chimney of KBB, got the burgers up to 110 and dumped in another small chimney of Comp. The Summit warmed up and cooked a bit faster than the PK I normally use for this(which surprised me) but the cook went fine and I didn't overcook the burgers.

Starting conditions:

Name:	IMG_0209.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	164863

Reverse sear in progress:

Name:	IMG_0210.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	164864

Finishing up:

Name:	IMG_0211.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	164865

It'll take some time to get used to how the new grill cooks but I definitely like it. I have 2 racks of chuck ribs prepped to cook tomorrow, I'll update.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Best,
                  Bill
                  Last edited by billg71; May 7, 2016, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• wbzipf
                    wbzipf commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That sure has ample space for two zone cooking! It doesn't look like you used the charcoal bins to contain the coals on the one side. Do you find them to small?

• billg71
                    billg71 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    wbzipf, I haven't used those things in so long I've forgotten how. I guess they'd be good for indirect but there's not much searing area above them so I just go with a 2-stage charcoal dump.

Having recently been to a Nursery (!) that sells high end grills, including Kamado Joes and high end gas "cooking centers", I have a better appreciation for Weber's target market for this. I'm actually convinced that that there are a lot of people who would rather get this for $2k then a gasser for $3 or $4 k. Love to see it. I live in the "southern crescent" of Atlanta and no one stocking it as yet down here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here