Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain Cap

I've looked around on the web, but I haven't been able to find a good solution for keeping the rain out of the top vent of the Summit. Have you guys solved for this yet?

Fit a Brockabrella Hat to vent of the Summit. Then you may sit and enjoy what you have done.

Comment

My smokers and cookers are all on a covered deck kitchen area, so I have had no need to find a cover for the top vent on the WSCGC. I hope someone else who has a Weber Summit Charcoal cooker in an uncovered area chimes in with a solution for you.

Kathryn

Comment

I have a stack of cinder blocks 3 high next to my cooker. I stick an umbrella from an old patio table set into the opening of the blocks. The umbrella is large enough when opened to cover the cooker and my prep table...

Comment

I just cook in the rain!

Comment

• Finster
            Finster commented
            Editing a comment
            Certain substances melt in the rain. Your choice as to which one you think applies in my case...🤣

You'd need something with about an 8 inch inside diameter, since you need clearance for the vent handle as well, about a tight 7.5 inches diameter from what I can tell. This one might work but it would be a tight fit, I'm guessing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	51SWRZ0nn7S._AC_SL1200_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.6 KB ID:	1238047

It might be a place to start, say, with a short length of pipe with a bit wider diameter for it to set onto or slightly nestle into.

I have a hunch you've probably already researched options like this, though.

Kathryn

Comment

• Rokfather
            Rokfather commented
            Editing a comment
            This is helpful. I didn't think to search BGE or KJ solutions since they already have their own, but this appears to be aimed at KJ users who don't have the rain cap already. Thanks for sharing! I may need something magnetic to make things work.

I have a patio umbrella with a stand it goes in, which is my emergency cover for the grills that cannot be rolled up under the pavilion in the back yard when it rains. It's just big enough to stand under while keeping the grill dry too.

Comment

• Rokfather
            Rokfather commented
            Editing a comment
            That may be an option, especially for my unrelated problem of keeping my backup generator out of the rain.

One cheap and readily available option that you can pick up at a hardware store might be one of these:

Master Flow vent caps are used to cap pipes extending through the roof. They provide maximum rain, snow and debris protection. An assortment of sizes are available.

They come in different diameters, 4 inch, 6 inch, etc, and if the top of the grill is flat enough, you could just set it over the daisy wheel vent while grilling in the rain.

Comment

• Rokfather
            Rokfather commented
            Editing a comment
            This is low cost and could be DIY'd. I'll look into magnets to mount it.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I was going to post that. I came across the idea while cleaning out the dryer vent from the roof.

Update: I also emailed Weber and asked if they are planning to develop their own solution/product and they confirmed they have no plans to.

Comment

I found an old license plate, gave it an z-shaped bend, trimmed it down with tin ships, then used a spring clamp to secure it to the black plastic handle of the top vent. Works great if I say so myself.

Comment

I cobbled together a cap cover for my Primo XL using sewer vent parts from Home Depot.

1. 4 inch vent cover - $14
              2. 4 inch flexible duct / sheet metal splice collar - $7
              3. Self tapping metal screws - free if you drive around enough, check your tires.
              4. 5-7 inch stainless steel hose clamp - $3

I had to use aviation snips to cut tabs into one end of the splice collar so I could make it fit over the primo cap. Then I forced the vent cover over the other end and secured it with the self tapping screws. The ring clamp is not really needed, bit if you are worried the thing might fall off just clamp it into place.

If I can find the thing, I will put up a photo. It looks exactly like what you think it will, but it works.

Comment

Triple fold a sheet of heavy duty tinfoil (or use a foil pan cut into rectangle) then bend/shape into an upside down "U" with the ends bent out into flaps. Secure with magnets.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here