Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PartyQ fan on Summit Kamado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PartyQ fan on Summit Kamado

Hi all

Just bought the Weber Summit Kamado and tested it yesterday with a Pulled Pork cook.
    Once temp was up I plugged in my old PartQ fan to hold temp. But the temp just dropped and continued to drop. I shut it off and took the temp up again using the vents. Then I tried the fan again, but same thing.
    Seems strange to me that the airflow from the fan should be insufficient to hold the temp?
    I looked at the direction the airflow from the fan was set to enter the grill, and it was sideways.
    Could this be the reason? Should the airflow be pointing in another direction?
    I assume that the "hollow" double wall of the bottom part of the grill (which is open at the bottom) might have something to do with it? Trapping the air instead of letting it get to the charcoal?
    Sounds strange I think but I cannot see any other reason?
    Any other have experience with fans and the Summit Kamado?

I cooked yesterday w/ a Fireboard 2 driving a Guru Pit Viper fan without issue. Actually I say without issue -- if anything, I had to turn the intake and exhaust vents way down to keep it from overshooting.

When you say the airflow is sideways, what do you mean? How are you hooking the fan into the grill? Is it through a Guru adapter? Mine runs through a Guru adapter, which sends air downwards toward the bottom center of the Summit.

There's no way the 2 walled design is causing issues, as air will move wherever the path of least resistance is (the top vent). There's gotta be something else going on, whether excessive ash buildup, clogged fan (you checked the fan output valve, right?) or something.

How long did you go trying this out? An extended amount of time? Is is possible you had it blowing so hard that it couldn't even burn the fire fast enough? Usually that's followed by a massive over-shoot though. What about the fan itself, are you sure it was running? I know sounds crazy, but there's gotta be something really simple here being overlooked -- that Summit can run 300+ with only about 3cfm tops on < 50% open exhaust.
    Last edited by nickmv; May 9, 2022, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Bie
      Bie commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi
      I basically agree with everything you say.

Batteries all new.
      The fan is blowing.
      Using the adapter.
      By mouth I can blow in air through the adapter.

The temp dropped from 120C to under 100C and then I turned the fan of and used the vents. Did this twice. So I did the cook with only vents.

I close all vents totally (as on the normal Weber, when using). Could the grill be so tight that it became filled with air and no new air could enter properly???

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Bie Do you have the top vent close completely too? You need it open some, you need an intake and exhaust for air to flow. Surprised that worked on a kettle before, but kettles can be a lot leakier.

I use a Fireboard and Pit Viper all the time on my WSCG. I usually run the bottom vent completely closed and let the fan provide all intake air unless I’m cooking at temps over 300°. My top vent is open between 1/16th and 1/4”. I never have problems keeping 250-275° temps. Is it possible the PartyQ batteries were weak not letting the fan run fast enough?

Comment

• nickmv
      nickmv commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah that's where I'm at -- the fan either had to not be blowing, or had to be blocked, or the exhaust was blocked.

I can't think of anything else that could cause this.

Trying to reconcile this....you didnt close the top vent as well did you?

Comment

The port hole for the blower is just where the double wall starts.
      I’ve got the DigiQ and it’s great, but can’t use batteries.
      Is the probe reading correctly?
      Was the exhaust vent set at half opened?
      Is the fan motor failing?
      Check the dates on your batteries.

When you get it running, Stuff foil in the intake vents for maximum closure. My damper blades aren’t as tight as my wallet.

Comment

Hi all
        sorry fell off the grid for a while. Was on vacation.
        All my vents where closed, so I am guessing that this was the issue. I will try another cook soon and play with the top vent.
        I will keep you posted, and thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Hi all
          finally on with the next test. Doing pulled beef. Have the top vent open a little and the temp is now rock steady.
          So it was just the closed vents that was the issue.

thanks all for the interest and tips for problem solving

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here