Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel

I’m curious- What fuel (briquettes, lump) are folks using in your Weber Summit Kamados? I’ve been using KBB only thus far - which has been fine, but created a TON of ash when smoking 3 pork butts low and slow last week (~12 hours or so total time) Like overflowing the ash bucket - I kinda expected to have more unburned briquettes based on the reported fuel efficiency of this grill… Anyway, I’m thinking I might want to use lump or at least a mix of lump and briquettes for longer cooks - for less ash. That said, my charcoal was old (probably years old) sitting in my garage - as this is my first charcoal grill and I was using up old charcoal leftover from kids’ scout camping trips - not sure if old briquettes burn up quicker(?)

I don't have a Weber Summit Kamado but I have two other kamados. I only use lump charcoal. I like B&B brand. One load of lump can go 12 hours or more (I've gone 20 hours on one load and still had charcoal left). I used briquettes once or twice and they burned faster with more ash.

Comment

Just got my E6 about a month ago. Coming from a WSM, I'm used to using KBB for my cooks. But boy lemme tell you what, I experienced the same thing. I smoked 2 butts the first weekend and managed to somehow blow through all the coal and found the bucket very full.

After hearing enough ranting and raving about Jealous Devil, I decided to give it a shot with a 20lb bag. It was a night and day difference. I did a 4 hour cook on an Easter Ham and checked the next day, and still have like 2/3 of it left, and on top of that, the ash volume didn't even cover the entire bottom of the ash bucket. We're talking probably 1/3 the ash.

I'm convinced enough now to switch to lump for long cooks, though I'll prob stick with KBB for regular grilling.

Comment

I've got the BKK and prefer lump charcoal also, Jealous Devil being my go to.
        Just not fan of KBB for its ashe and the funk it gives off....which brings me to my question of how the heck I found a bag of KBB in my loft on Sunday.
        I either need new glasses or I'm blind or just plain stupid....I dunno how these things happen....

Comment

In my kamado I only run lump, It last much longer and produces much less ash. I like B&B and kamado joe big block.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here