Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast Iron DNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Iron DNG

Dip and Griddles are on sale right now. Anybody have a cast iron one and if so, do you leave it outside with the grill? Ideally, I'd just leave it in the Summit with the SNS so I don't need to find storage for yet another thing!

I'm thinking the cast iron might rust if left outside, even if covered and seasoned. Thought about getting the KJ soapstone, but that's more fragile and doesn't act as a drip pan, so I'd definitely need to find a putting-place when I wasn't searing with it.

thoughts?

And if you don't have thoughts, I'll give you a topic. Rhode Island, neither a road nor an island, discuss. 🤪

Cast Iron will definitely rust if exposed to moisture for a long time. But mine doesnt rust indoors just sitting around in regular humidity so the question really is how much moisture yours would see. I mean, I've even accidentally let a cast iron pan sit with water in it for a couple of days and it was fine. But a couple of days isn't a couple of months...

If it's not going to be used for weeks at a time, I'd pass on getting it now and look at it for the spring-summer so you can not only season it by just seasoning, but also by cooking on it for an, ah... season.

PS; You could get it now, season it, use it as needed and check it if you don't use it for a bit. Rust comes off, after all. But I certainly wouldn't get it, season it a little, then let it sit outside in the cooker for the winter without using it.
    Last edited by rickgregory; December 21, 2021, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I use gunstock wax on my rifles and that prevents rusting.
      But I do not recommend it on cooking surfaces.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Flax seed oil is the food safe approved version of the Tru Oil I use on my gun stocks. Flax seed oil is beautiful if baked on your CI and works well as a rust preventer if just wiped on.

Depends on the ambient humidity in your area. I live near the coast so leaving cast iron outside, even under cover, is a no-go.

Last edited by 58limited; December 21, 2021, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Well, here in SoCal…rust is kinda foreign. LOL I mean, we understand the principle & mechanics…but it’s not really a "thing." Even on the coast… I can’t recall something truly damaged by rust in under 7 years.

Comment

I have had one since early summer, and left it in the Weber caked in grease, for days sometimes. I'd clean it, if i needed it for the next cook, but really treated if bad. I took it inside and cleaned it and stood it on edge next to the chimney, under a stainless table. Its been raining here for a month, and i just pulled it out for some wibs. I swear, it looks better than new!

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Tough love.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here