Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle vs Kamado Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kettle vs Kamado Mode

Hey all,

Sorry for what may be yet another stupid question, but when do you all use Kettle mode vs. Kamado mode. Weber says to only use Kamado mode if you're smoking, but I think I've read that some foods like Chicken do better "raised direct". With the snaphet ignition, Kamado mode seems like it might be easier to just light it and go.

I have a Vortex as well as an SNS (original, not low profile), so I guess I'm spoiled for choice!

Seems to me the consensus is to cook chicken around the vortex on the raised position, reverse sear steaks in 2-zone kettle mode, smoking obviously in Kamado mode. What else?

Thanks all!

First, there are no stupid questions, except the ones I ask. Then, I have a Traeger so no help from me.
    "All Roads Lead to Rome", good luck finding your way to BBQ nirvana. Pellet grilling is a simple street.

Comment

I do pizza, al pastor/shawarma and chicken at the appropriate temps and smoke chili, stews, soups, etc. in a CI Dutch oven, all in kamado mode. I haven't tried baking bread yet, but I'll get around to that at some point. The WSCG is the most versatile cooker I have, it can pretty much do it all.

Comment

I leave the SnS in my WSCGC almost all the time. I have cooked a turkey, chicken, steaks, lamb, pork, fish, you name it. Gives me two zones and works great. I use this setup for fast or medium length cooks. I think the only reason I would remove it is for long low and slow cooks, or if I need more real estate. But, I am fortunate in that I have the Rec Tec RT-700 that I use for long cooks, such a brisket or pork butt, so it gives me more options without having to remove the SnS from the WSCGC.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here