Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel

So now that I got my Summit, I need to cook! I have a few bags of KBB, but what do you all use? I think I'm on the briquette side of things given the pro's that meathead discusses, but wondering what variety you all have found best. And what's your recommendation for reusing? If want to be able to choke down the grill after a quick cool and then reuse that charcoal later, (I'm thinking weeknight grilling) is lump for that than briquettes?

Admittedly with a gasser, I never used my kettle much for anything other than multi-hour cooks, so I need to read up on quicker cooks

I use Traeger Pellets in my Traeger pellet grill.
    I use Kingsford self-lighting to start campfires, ez pz.

Comment

I can't offer much help since I don't run a WSC, but I typically use KBB for most everything. And I also wanted to say I love your avatar. I never connected Seinfeld to BBQ but that one works!

Comment

Lately, I have been using Kingsford Professional, but that’s due to them being on sale at Costco a few times this year. I have used regular Kingsford and the Weber briquettes in the past, plus lump. I am not a huge fan of lump.

For longer cooks, the Professional seems to burn too fast, but I use my WSCGC for short to medium cooks and my RecTec RT-700 for longer cooks.

I add fresh briquettes to the used ones in my grill. I hate to throw out and waste the used ones. I simply take my SnS basket to the garden and shake it like I am panning for gold, which clears it out of any ash and well spent briquettes, then I add new briquettes.
        Last edited by RAGBBQ; October 22, 2021, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RAGBBQ View Post
          Lately, I have been using Kingsford Professional, but that’s due to them being on sale at Costco a few times this year. I have used regular Kingsford and the Weber briquettes in the past, plus lump. I am not a huge fan of lump.

For longer cooks, the Professional seems to burn too fast, but I use my WSCGC for short to medium cooks and my RecTec RT-700 for longer cooks.

I add fresh briquettes to the used ones in my grill. I hate to throw out and waste the used ones. I simply take my SnS basket to the garden and shake it like I am panning for gold, which clears it out of any ash and well spent briquettes, then I add new briquettes.
          A man with a WSC and a Slow N Sear - lucky man! I have regular SNS, but not a low profile. I'm going to play with it at some point. right now I'm firing it up to do a few hours of temp testing before I cook a butt overnight

Comment

I have a webber master touch. I shut off the fire after my cooks and reuse the left over charcoal for the next cook. That cut my briquette purchases in half over the past summer months.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
              I can't offer much help since I don't run a WSC, but I typically use KBB for most everything. And I also wanted to say I love your avatar. I never connected Seinfeld to BBQ but that one works!
              Thanks, it popped into my head once when I was talking BBQ with somebody and I miggled (man giggled) for a bit after that. No wonder people think I'm weird

Comment

I would use B&B lump in that grill. KBB has too much ash for kamados IMHO. I know Kingsford says their charcoal can be used in kamados, but I always have the best luck using Lump. B&B is really good stuff and it is reasonably priced. FOGO is my favorite but that stuff is not cheap.

Comment

I use Kingsford Blue forever. I’m not one to tinker. Nuthin special & it has worked.

Comment

For a rib cook I put the empty charcoal baskets down on the lower level and fill the space between the baskets with Kingsford blue and leave space on one end for a compact Weber chimney worth of hot coals. I also recommend a DigiQ blower or whatever they call it these days.
                    If you get the blower and your bottom dampers aren’t tight on the bowl use foil to plug the vents.
                    You will be surprised how many coals are left after a cook if you close the top damper when you’re done.
                    I also put wood chunks in before the Kingsford. I’m stoked for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqmikeg View Post
                      For a rib cook I put the empty charcoal baskets down on the lower level and fill the space between the baskets with Kingsford blue and leave space on one end for a compact Weber chimney worth of hot coals. I also recommend a DigiQ blower or whatever they call it these days.
                      If you get the blower and your bottom dampers aren’t tight on the bowl use foil to plug the vents.
                      You will be surprised how many coals are left after a cook if you close the top damper when you’re done.
                      I also put wood chunks in before the Kingsford. I’m stoked for you!
                      Thanks! Did my first cook on it yesterday. I did pork butt because it's hard to royally screw up. I have a firebird drive and a BBQ Guru fan, but I decided to run it without any life support so I could see how this baby runs on it's own. I was pretty impressed. I filled up the lower charcoal section and fired it up at 3pm Friday just so see if I could nail temps with it and it settled in pretty well. Then I started the cook at 8pm and ran it until around 5pm the next day without having to add fuel.

Although, I wasn't quite as successful as others have been in terms of efficiency - I saw Baby Back Maniac's video where he only used like 1/3 of the charcoal after a day. After my session the charcoal was all gone. But, I did use a water pan to keep the temps in check, otherwise it ran hot, presumably because of the new vents leaking and not being gunked up.

Still, it was more stable than my pellet pooper once it settled in!

Comment

• Bbqmikeg
                        Bbqmikeg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Try wads of foil in the bottom vents and use the guru to keep the temp down and see how long it can go. The One-touch dampers never seem to be airtight.
                        The shiny inside of the lid turns dark so grill a bunch of steaks to catch all of the radiant heat reflection while you can.
                        The top vent location at the top of the lid is my only other criticism because it doesn’t let you direct draft like the 22 where the top vent is off to the side and you can rotate the lid where you want the smoke to go.

I use Fogo Black bag for hot and fast cooks Gold bag for low and slow. I will reuse the charcoal after a cook. Knock the ash through the sweepers and fill up the chimney with the old partially used lump and add some fresh charcoal to the grill. I also use the Weber Charcoal on occasion since I am still working through my stockpile from when it was on sale.

I prefer lump to briquettes myself.

Comment

For charcoal I use royal oak lump of B&B lump usually.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here