Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Summit Kamado S6 inbound! – questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Summit Kamado S6 inbound! – questions

I’ve been suffering from some serious MCS for a few years now and decided to pull the trigger on the S6. I wish I had gotten it when it was the WSCGC and could have gotten the dual-walled deflector plate and the old cart, but still excited for this one! I debated between the S6 and the E6, but decided on the S6 since it has the table and the snapjet. I know that I could have bought a standalone table, but having it all in one piece seemed really appealing. maybe that's dumb. I also know people think the snapjet is more of a gimmick than anything, but I figured it would get me to use it more for quick cooks. Maybe not.

I’ve been searching around here and on TVWBB and just had a few questions I’m hoping you all can help me with as I plan for the arrival.
    • Vortex – everybody seems to agree that the vortex is a great addition for the grill. I did notice that some said it sits too high on the charcoal grate and you have to take the center of the grilling grate out. Is that true? Would something like the BBQ Whirlpool, which is a little shorter be better? I’d rather get the original and reward the creator, but not sure if the fit is good
    • Spare Parts - Are there any spare parts I should pick up now? I’m probably overthinking this, but with these being relatively low volume sellers and with the IPO that just happened, I’m wondering if Weber will have parts available for them long-term. Probably overly cautious there. Should I try and source the hinged deflector plate, or has the solid piece with the vent holes proved to be an equivalent replacement0
    • Wheels - This is probably crazy, but Is it possible to replace the back wheels with casters? Probably not, but figured I’d ask. I see that the rear wheels are on an axle, but it also looks like there’s posts in the back that maybe could accommodate some sort of caster? I have a location picked out where I could ideally pull it out laterally (pulling straight towards you when looking at it), rather than having to turn it to get it out. I realize the E6 would have been better for this reason, but I really wanted a work surface as that’s my biggest frustration usually, and I did want the snap-jet convenience available in case I was feeling real lazy
    • Grill Divestment - The wife has not-so-gently suggested that I need to get rid of a grill when bringing this one into the stable. I have a 22” kettle (circa 2006) with Slow n Sear, an 18” WSM (circa 2008), a Genesis gasser (2006) with stainless grates and flavorers, and a RecTec 700. I have the SNS for the kettle and I have a Fireboard with a Pit Viper I could use for either the kettle or the WSM. Thoughts on which to get rid of?
      • I used to use the WSM for smoking pork butts and ribs, but it always felt like such a hassle to take apart and is the reason I got the pellet grill. Not sure what situation I would really fire it up for given the combined capabilities of the S6 and the RecTec.
      • The kettle isn't in great shape but I'm sure you all have seen worse - the ash catcher is madly corroded and hard to get off and the triangle is pretty rusty.
      • The gasser is clutch for toddler hot dogs and for throwing a griddle on for outdoor greasy stuff. It lives a tough life. It does have a small leak that I need to find and repair. May need a new manifold or something.
      • I'm currently thinking of ditching the kettle, keeping the WSM and tucking it away somewhere unobtrusive.
    • Any other newbie tips I should be thinking about?
    • THANK YOU!!!!

Unless you need extra capacity, you’ll probably not use the kettle or WSM at all with the S6 and you have the RecTeq for overflow too. I do take the center out with the vortex as it’s a little too tall to fit under. I actually bought the new diffuser for my WSCG as I found the hinged diffuser a pain to wrap and never needed to refuel. You can use the Pit Viper on the S6 too, there’s already a hole, you just need the Weber adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
      Unless you need extra capacity, you’ll probably not use the kettle or WSM at all with the S6 and you have the RecTeq for overflow too. I do take the center out with the vortex as it’s a little too tall to fit under. I actually bought the new diffuser for my WSCG as I found the hinged diffuser a pain to wrap and never needed to refuel. You can use the Pit Viper on the S6 too, there’s already a hole, you just need the Weber adapter.
      Thanks! I do wonder if I would ever really use the WSM and Kettle - and I think you're probably right. Especially given that we're not cooking for hordes of people (2 adults, 2 toddlers), and if push came to shove, I have a few neighbors with Yoders and traegers. OR I could always buy another grill later!

My wife would probably be most happy if I got rid of them too, just to consolidate. What has me feeling a little guilty about the kettle is the Slow N Sear. I *think* from what I've read that I can use it on the Summit, it just lifts one side of the grate up a bit.

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I wrote my reply below after you posted this but yes, the SnS for your 22" kettle will fit just fine in the S6 provided the charcoal grate is going parallel to the sns. In this configuration the grate ever so slightly is propped up by the sns but hardly anything to worry about. In fact I have always cooked in Kamado mode on mine until I did my last pork butt which I did with the Sns and it turned out great, dare I say better, than kamado mode.

I would agree with glitchy that you will most likely not fire up the kettle or the WSM much at all after you get the S6, and the Recteq and gasser can handle any other overflow capacity you would need. Additionally I too find the hinged deflector plate to be a PITA to wrap because of the hinges and because it's so efficient I've never had a time where I ever ran even close to where I would have needed the hinges to refuel. The only reason I haven't replaced it with the solid diffuser is because I don't need to, it works just fine but if anything would ever happen to it or I have some money burning a hole in my pocket I would replace it. I've considered making one too.
      The vortex does sit a little higher than the cooking grate in the S6 so you'll need to remove the center section of the grate. You do lose a bit of grilling space but no big deal. I've grown to not really be a fan of their Gourmet BBQ grate so if I did get anything for an upgrade it would probably be a nice one piece SS grate first before the diffuser plate. Of course this would mean the only time I use the Gourmet BBQ grate is with the vortex.
      No need to worry about spare parts, just an extra 1lb bottle of propane and buying a cover.
      No idea on the wheels - I don't have the table version but I wish I did.

Comment

Thanks gents! Really appreciate the thoughts!

Comment

You can use the Pit Viper on the S6 too, there’s already a hole, you just need the Weber adapter.
          Thanks! I should mention that I bought the pit viper once I realized I could use it on the S6. I used to use a Rock's Stoker on the WSM. That thing was handy at the time, but dang it was kludgy by modern standards! I got a fireboard earlier this year for a present and made sure to ask for the Drive version so I could add a fan later. Now I have my excuse

Comment

Andrrr and GoDuke Here is one option for a replacement cooking grate: https://smokeware.com/collections/pr...31157911191624

I haven’t used it yet though, it’s sitting in the garage.

Comment

• Andrrr
              Andrrr commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. How much did Weber get you for the 1 piece diffuser plate?

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              Andrrr I don't remember for sure, seems like it was $50-75

Andrrr and GoDuke Here is one option for a replacement cooking grate: https://smokeware.com/collections/pr...31157911191624

I haven’t used it yet though, it’s sitting in the garage.
            thanks! I saw that on their website along with the grate stacker. The grate stacker looked interesting too because it seemed more stable than the ones that just sit on top of your existing grate. I was thinking it could be a good way to add a pizza steel or stone above the cooking grate so that you could get more radiant heat for cooking pizza on the cooking grate too. Fun stuff!!

Comment

I got an E6 in May. Sold my 22 WSM and kept my 22 kettle. I use the kettle for rotisserie, occasional use with slow n sear, but mainly with the SNS plancha. I do not regret selling the WSM one bit. It got me into barbecue and served its purpose. The E6 is easier to use and much more efficient. I think I am using leftover charcoal from 3 cooks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by GoDuke View Post

thanks! I saw that on their website along with the grate stacker. The grate stacker looked interesting too because it seemed more stable than the ones that just sit on top of your existing grate. I was thinking it could be a good way to add a pizza steel or stone above the cooking grate so that you could get more radiant heat for cooking pizza on the cooking grate too. Fun stuff!!
                I use the CI 14” Lodge pizza pan for pizza on the grill. You can kinda get the idea here but it’s in kamado mode where I put the charcoal baskets that come with the grill on top of the cooking grate to get the pizza closer to the dome. You may want to start with that before you dump money into a grate add-on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6D4A7B57-006D-4226-A016-B5EC989B3D2D.jpeg
Views:	425
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	1105079

Name:	F5FD0059-02F2-4505-83BC-32D93E8F5537.jpeg
Views:	405
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1105080

Comment

It hurts me to say this, but I agree with letting go of the wsm. I think I last used my wsm to do a brisket last Christmas. My go to is the Chimp pellet grill for most things and the kettle/vortex for yardbird. My lonely wsm is just sitting there covered...

Comment

Aww man, I’m jealous. I’ve been looking at this since the original WSC came out. The updated E6/S6 only rekindled my grill envy. Let us know what you think of it, and include plenty of pics!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrrr View Post

I use the CI 14” Lodge pizza pan for pizza on the grill. You can kinda get the idea here but it’s in kamado mode where I put the charcoal baskets that come with the grill on top of the cooking grate to get the pizza closer to the dome. You may want to start with that before you dump money into a grate add-on.

Name:	6D4A7B57-006D-4226-A016-B5EC989B3D2D.jpeg
Views:	425
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	1105079

Name:	F5FD0059-02F2-4505-83BC-32D93E8F5537.jpeg
Views:	405
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1105080
                      great point (not pun intended on the grate 😀). The oven broiler method has been working for me too, so I’ll definitely try it out before spending more on another grate setup. Good reminder!

Comment

Originally posted by Grillin Dad View Post
                        Aww man, I’m jealous. I’ve been looking at this since the original WSC came out. The updated E6/S6 only rekindled my grill envy. Let us know what you think of it, and include plenty of pics!!
                        After a long week last week, I declared to my colleague "it’s time to spend money I don’t have on a grill I don’t need"! Unfortunately by the time I actually clicked checkout, the delivery date changed from oct 8th to October 18th! Boo!

Comment

• Grillin Dad
                          Grillin Dad commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Aww bummer man, but seriously, let us know how it goes. I’m probably 2 years out from even beginning to hit the wife up about this (my current priority is getter her to approve an upgrade to our gasser … it’s out neighbor’s old Kenmore grill from when he was in college). We’re a family of 6 plus I’ve got in-laws in town, so I’m debating between the 26” or the E6.

People are never as sympathetic for abused husbands. Grills are like comfort animals to help husbands cope. It used to be called "Gas Lighting" when people made you question yourself, but now it’s "Gas Grilling" when they try to separate you from your babies.
                        Top your WSM with your up side down kettle, strap it tight, and put the cover over it. Nothing to see here.
                        My Summit made me forget all of my other cookers for a year. It’s really the best thing Weber ever made.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here