Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My own WSCG fuel efficiency results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My own WSCG fuel efficiency results

To set the stage we had some people over yesterday with a big pork shoulder and some shorties as a chefs cut. My plan was to put the shoulder on Friday night for an overnighter, pull it whenever it was done in the morning and hold in the oven until I was ready to reset the bark. In the meantime I would time out the short ribs as needed. I know we’re all interested in cooks but for the sake of this post (and the fact nothing turned out brag worthy) I’ll stick to the topic.
    Now I’ve seen plenty of videos on the efficiency of kamados but this was going to be a good opportunity for my own test seeing as I was going to be running this thing for quite some time. At 9pm on Friday I filled the charcoal chamber with Weber briquettes and fired it up. The diffuser sat flat on the ring, just meaning that I didn’t have it mounded but it was full. By 10 the smoke was looking good so on it went. I got it stable at around 240* and I went to bed. According to the weather it got down to about 40 that night.
    I don’t have a thermostat or a means of recording the temp history but when I woke up it was at 280*. I got it back down to 240 and kept it running there whether there was food on it or not. Around 5pm I put the food back on to reset the bark and pulled it off at 6, purposely not closing any vents. Food was served and at 7:15pm I went back outside to take it apart and see how much fuel I had left.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	912CB529-8608-4BAD-A861-6363597B7DD9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	1038360
    This is 22.25 hours after the initial startup, 21.25 hours of actual cooking time. The coals at 6 o’clock were pulled in from the wall on the lower right. The wood piece on the left was added mid cook but the ashed over coals starting at 7 all the way around to 1 are from the initial setup. That’s just the way she burns. No idea how many hours of useful cooking are left in there but I’d imagine it’s quite a few.
    Well there you have it. Good, bad or indifferent it was fun personally testing the limits. Cheers.
    Last edited by Andrrr; May 30, 2021, 03:26 PM.

Love my WSCG

Comment

Yep, Weber definitely got it right with this rig, I love mine!

Comment

The WSCGC was one of the best BBQ purchases I ever made. I love my Mr. Fancypants!

Kathryn

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          You actually named it--Mr.Fancypants. Nice.
          Do you have names for all your Pits?
          Think I will have to name my pellet grill.
          Any suggestion?
          Thanks in advance.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, bbqLuv, all of my grills and smokers have names. Click on the fountain pen icon below my name at the side of the post to see my cookers and their names.

About naming your pellet grill, hmmmm. Since I don't own one, I'm not sure about a good name. First you have to decide the gender. Then go from there.

Kathryn

I love how I did a 11 hr burn for a stubborn pork butt, and THEN the Wifey asks me to do the grilled onions. Opened up the vents, got it from 235 up to 550, and grilled the onions. I never was able to get the temps to go back UP on the Performer. And it works great with either briquettes or Lump! And i am now a firm believer in B&B Lump.

Comment

If I could only have one grill, it would be my WSCGC. Well worth the money, given the amount of times I have used it!

Comment

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, I really want the table version. I’m still contemplating selling this one and getting it. There’s a store here that still has gen 1 WSCGC for $1700

That is a great review! Thank you.

Comment

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            I still got my eye out for you. That one I shared with you awhile back ghosted me

I got it back down to 240 and kept it running there whether there was food on it or not.
          So, while ya was sleepin, where did th food(s) go??? : think:
          Lookin back, mebbe I skipped a page, er summat...sry

Comment

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha. Yeah I left out some details. The pork was done by 10am so that came off and the ribs went on. They were done around 3:30 so I pulled them and held in the oven to rest so from about 3:30 to 5 when I put everything back on to set the bark the grill was empty but still running

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here