Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Episode 6 - Stick Burners, Feat. Ben Lang and Bill Karau - October 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 6 - Stick Burners, Feat. Ben Lang and Bill Karau - October 2020

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 1: Zoom Happy Hour @7:30pm CT
    TOPIC: Smoking and Grilling on Stick Burners

A discussion on the use of stick burners (i.e. wood fired smokers/grills) including tips, techniques, and more featuring hosts Meathead and Clint Cantwell, as well as our resident smoker and grill expert Max Good, and a few very special guests including Ben Lang of Lang Smokers (bio below), Bill Karau of Karubecue (bio below), Pitmaster Club member "Ahumadora" (bio at the end), and special guest, John Markus, producer of the original BBQ Pitmasters TV contest.

ABOUT BEN LANG AND LANG BBQ SMOKERS
    For more than two centuries the Lang family has been providing service to lovers of barbecued meat. From the early smoked meat business to the current day business under the direction of Ben Lang, Lang's BBQ Smokers cookers have been recommended by the best chefs in the world. They will attest that the food "gets better when you cook it on a Lang BBQ Smokers". Ben Lang, owner and operator of Lang started a revolution in the barbecue industry with his unique design. His design and line of smoker cookers remains the industry standard today. With new product development at the forefront at the Lang BBQ Smokers production site, the future will continue to see the Lang family tradition of excellence maintained and surpassed.

ABOUT BILL KARAU AND KARUBECUE (KBQ)
    KBQ was founded in the Summer of 2004 by inventor Bill Karau. Inspired by countless pit inspections and Pit Boss interviews during many Barbecue Tours, we figured the project should take 2 to 3 months, 4 tops. We were a bit off on that estimate ā€¦

ABOUT Craig "AHUMADORA" Jull
    I was born in Northland, New Zealand in a family of 5 kids raised on a dairy and beef farm. We learned to skin sheep and cows at a young age. My dad was also an earth moving contractor and at about 12- 13 y.o I first started practicing welding with all the used up electrodes. After my crazy teenage years when I was 20 I wanted a change of scenery, so I moved to Orange county, CA where I landed a job fabricating in a race shop. Carbon fiber funny bodies, roll bars, tube chassis on mostly drag cars. Got involved in open road racing where they close off public roads in Northern Nevada and Ft Stockton TX.

I Used to run an '89 Camaro with 650 hp and also was navigator in an ex Tony Stewart Nascar doing these races. (Been clocked at 221MPH on route 285 in Ft Stockton TX).
    During this time I moved to Austin Texas and was working on the world challenge Porsche team, mechanic/ fabricator/ truck driver.

I used to stop at a BBQ joint on Route 290 between dripping Springs and Johnson City and that is where I first really got hooked on BBQ.

After many years busting my ass on race cars and working for some names like Hennessy, West Coast choppers and Boyd Coddington I got burned out, so backpacked around South America for 5 months then eventually ended up in Guatemala where I started learning Spanish.

The school was nearly broke, so I ended up buying it and setting up one of the first online Spanish schools by Skype. I moved to Uruguay for a while then Argentina. While in Buenos Aires I was missing good BBQ, so I decided to build a pit at my house. I met an American friend who wanted to start a BBQ restaurant and got me to build a large insulated pit. From there little by little started making a business out of it and eventually sold my online school to fabricate pits. Now I have 3 small shops building for North of Buenos Aires and recently opened a new shop in Mexico City. I am married with 3 kids who like my BBQ.
    • Happy Hour events are the first Thursday of each month. Mark your calendar!
    • Nov 5, 2020: Pellet Cookers
    • Dec 3, 2020: Holiday Meals on the Grill
    • January 7, 2021: Cold Weather Grilling
    • March 4, 2021: BBQ & Bourbon/Whiskey
    • May 6, 2021: TBA
    • All Happy Hours Will Be Every Other Month Beginning January 2021

Last edited by Clint Cantwell; October 7, 2020, 11:26 AM.

Looking forward to this one.

Comment

This will be šŸ”„ !!!!

Comment

Wait until you guys/gals hear about our special guests, once they confirm!

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          What. Iā€™m not one of them?? šŸ˜šŸ˜

One of these days I may be able to join, but who knows! I have meetings Thursday evenings and I have horrible internet so I guess for now, I'll just hope I can join.

Comment

We are thrilled to announce that Meathead, Max, and I will be joined on the stick burner panel by Ben Lang of Lang Smokers, Bill Karau of Karubecue, and Pitmaster Club member "Ahumadora"!

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the invite. Looks like I will be in great company.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Lookin forward to it!

• MTurney
            MTurney commented
            Editing a comment
            I got a Lang 36Ć¢ā‚¬Ā hybrid about six months ago and I really wanted to join this call but I wonā€™t be able to. By any chance do you record them?

Great Show
          Keep them coming
          I looking forward to next month - Cold Weather Cooking
          Mention ways to keep gas regulator from freezing I have used a gutter heat strip in the past.
          Jim
          Last edited by coustyj; October 2, 2020, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry I missed this one - didn't catch the note in time to put it on my calendar.

Comment

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              Always first THU of the month 7:30 p.m. Central

I have posted the video above

Comment

• Below Zero Smoker
              Below Zero Smoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the video replay! I wanted to be live, but I have the same problem as Bill with the dropout- I think it has to do with the cache size, but what do I know? Anyway, I am interested in next month's topic, living in Alaska as I do... It is always nice to get the perspective of others' experience! I will watch the video several times to absorb as much as I can squeeze out of it! Pulling John Markus in was a delightful bonus! Thanks again!

Thanks Meathead and crew for posting video!

Comment

Your link seems to have taken me to YouTube. I copied the youtube link and tried opening a new web page and the link opened the video. Wow! What a show! Good stuff! Me a stick burner lover. I would love to share the youtube link to friends.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20200417_125225.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	919896 This blower is great...it never restricts air flow, there is no damper.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Great pic, love th setup...

Onliest thing is, there's bout enuff fuel there to go 30-45 mins, tops...

Seems like an Hairless Ape's still gotta be involved, from my perspective lol

• ddmcwhirter
                ddmcwhirter commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, I was preparing to smoke bacon...the blower will maintain the temp at the setting, until the fuel runs out, then temp craters. I'll try to suggest to the vendor that they make a wifi hookup to let you know the fan speed.

Great show. Made me want to try a stick burner again. Had a COS years ago, never learned to use it, replaced it with a kettle and a wsm. The pics Ernest posts makes me really want a KBQ.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                I can jus picture ya standin over either, with yer Suh-Weet Cowboy Hat on, My Brother!
                I ain't lyin none; that there's a Fine Brim, Bro!
                Happy Trails, Amigo!
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 4, 2020, 08:35 PM.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Mr. Bones. My wife bought it for me after she saw me admiring it in the store. Now if I can only convince her to buy me a KBQ lol

Great Happy Hour with really good information! Thanks AR for doing these programs!

Comment

Clint Cantwell, Meathead, KBQ , I was fascinated by the discussion about the thickness of the material the pits are made of. One thing I didn't hear, and the thing that I think would be the deciding factor, is ambient temps. I would think the thicker materials would hold temps better in cold weather and use less fuel. Or did I just miss that part of the discussion?
                Last edited by klflowers; October 5, 2020, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  She's a beaut, Clark!

• Below Zero Smoker
                  Below Zero Smoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I live in Alaska, and I designed and assisted building an offset smoker from a 1000 gal propane tank ( see my avatar). The firebox is double walled. The walls are 3/8 inch thick. My impression is that I use a little more wood as it gets colder outside, due to the cooler air coming into the firebox. I spread the coals out the length of the firebox, and place the new wood closer to the door, and then move it in as it starts to burn, for the burn efficiency to get the ideal light blue smoke.

• Chiller Phil
                  Chiller Phil commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lifted from KBQ.us, BBQ EDU, Common Pits, Stick Burner page.
                  "Insulation Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ the thin layers of stagnant air on the inside and outside of the pit have 100X the R-value of 1Ć¢ā‚¬Ā³ of steel. Thicker steel insulates no better than thinner steel."
                  Every question that I have thought to ask Bill about his design is answered on his site and then some.

Thanks AR for the video. I picked up a couple things for future smokes. Ben Lang hit the nail on the head about offsets, "you have to master how to manage the fire". Took me a couple years to learn how to manage the fire on my Jambo.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here