Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Episode 1 - Meet The Team! - May 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 1 - Meet The Team! - May 2020

We held our first Zoom Happy Hour in which we had most of our team on screen to introduce themselves and answer questions. Going forward Happy Hours will have smaller panels and be more focused on a topic. Join us on the first Thursday of every other month!

Apparently it's illegal to Zoom while getting paid to develop Corona antibodies.

Comment

Really enjoyed the Zoom seminar, webinar, or whatever you call it last night. Hope you do this again. I would be quite willing to sit in once a month. I learned a lot, especially about sous vide. I was also intrigued by Dr. Blonder's comment about pink salt. I bought some a while back and the instructions with it seemed OK (teaspoons and pounds of meat) but the Dr.'s comment seems to indicate that it is quite a bit more complicated.

You said something about having a more topical discussion next time. Let me suggest a couple of topics. "Sausage" I have just gotten really interested in making sausage and reading about it. Amazed at how many kinds there are and how many different ways to prepare them. For years I made "Deer Sausage" by grinding up everything on the deer but the loins and tenderloins and mixing in Adams Old Fashioned Sausage spice, bagging it up, and freezing it. Recently I have made Summer Sausage and Boudain. Anxious to learn more. Also cooking wild game. An avid hunter since I was a small child (I'll be 68 in August) I have had a limited repertoire of recipes for what I have killed. Mostly fried or pressure cooked. Attempts at grilling wild game have not been successful.

Again I very much enjoyed last night, and I really appreciate Amazingribs.com.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Our grilling of deer consists of a marinade (1/2 italian dressing 1/2 BBQ Sauce) wrap in bacon and grill. We don't wrap like a filet mignon, steaks aren't that thick. It just goes over the top and bottom of the steak and secured with toothpicks.

• Oakgrovebacon
        Oakgrovebacon commented
        Editing a comment
        Deer loins cut into 3/4-1” steaks. Melt about 1/4 stick of butter. Mix melted butter with soy sauce and Marinate steaks for an hour. Cook hot and fast over direct heat charcoal, no more than 130 internal. Never had any leftovers.

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you read this?
        Curing meat is not like any other recipe. You must be pretty precise about some ingredients.

I think I put this in the chat room, as time went on we seemed to have gotten happier. No explaination, 🍷🍸🍹🍺

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I seemed to forget simple words "as time went on".

I had a great time, an am lookin forward to further adventures! Thanks, yall!

I fully appreciate how much effort an coordination it took to launch this, blind.

Yall done right dang dang good, an it was a learnin experience fer all, on both ends; mebbe best of all, it got some puter-phobic folks involved, what didn't think they were equal to th task, so, as always, new thangs learned in Th Pit

Think how many lives yall enlightened, an enrichened, and of th newly found confidence that yall provided.

Superlative Job, Team AR!!!!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 9, 2020, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Good times last night Meathead looking forward to more and improved virtual meat ups until the real one comes about next year. 🙏🏻 Hopefully. Knock on wood. Or is that wood smoke. Thin and light blue. 👊

Comment

I missed it because of getting busy with new storage shelves for my wife ( and us). Thanks for posting it.
          Question, there was mention of a sous vide magnet on Amazon but can't find it. Can only fine the kindle sous vide. Is it under some other name and not under AmazinRibs?

Just finished listening and thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to later installments.
          Last edited by JimLinebarger; May 8, 2020, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Comment

You may not have noticed, but we created a new channel for ALL of our audio & video interview collection, titled, quite simply, Audio & Video.

Further, "Happy Hour Live Interactive Broadcasts" now has its own sub-channel in the Audio & Video main channel. We will post all future Virtual Happy Hour (VHH) information, times, and recordings here in this channel. Either Meathead or I will soon make a sticky post with general information about them that will stay at the top of the VHH channel. Right now we're looking at possibly the 1st Thurs of each month at 7:30pm CT.

We also have plans to eventually hold a special Happy Hour to include our overseas friends such as Henrik, Elton's BBQ and Hole Hogg, etc. If they're interested in making that happen we will find a time that works for all, if possible, since they are all 5hrs ahead of US Central time.

We will leave the "Meat-Ups" channel solely for in-person gatherings.

Comment

3 things I learned from re-watchign this:

1. I REALLY hate hearing my own voice recorded
                2. I talk with my hands far too much, I look like I'm air drumming when I talk. Next time I will sit on them.
                3. My webcam and Internet connection aren't nearly as good as I hoped they'd be
                4. I wish I had half Spinaker and Dave's knowledge of pans and kamados
                5. Clint is much funnier than I knew
                6. No good at counting to 3

Anyway, here's a couple links to some topics that were mentioned in the video, as well as bio posts from some of our team if you want to learn more about them:

Greg Blonder's "Magic of Salt" video interview: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...rstood-53-mins

Dave Joachim's bio: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ur-editor-dave

Max's bio: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-max-good-here

BigJim's bio: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...6-big-jim-here

My bio: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...199-i-m-huskee

Spinaker's bio: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-spinaker-here

Jerod's bio: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...broussard-here

RayJ's Full Bio: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-i-am-the-rayj

RayJ's Screenreader information: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...yoard-commands

Comment

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I totally agree with you on the first one.
                  🤔 I don’t think that came out right. 😁
                  I mean I hate the way I sound recorded. I’ve listened to the couple of interviews I did with Greg Rempe and say to myself "dude you sound terrible"

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Steve B I take comfort in the fact that most people say the same about hearing their own voice. I think your voice sounds like a normal guy voice, so I hope mine does to others too

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree on number 5. :-)

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here