Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Episode 14 - Wagyu Beef, A Tutorial From The Farm To Your Table - November 4, 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 14 - Wagyu Beef, A Tutorial From The Farm To Your Table - November 4, 2021

Wagyu Beef: A Tutorial From The Farm To Your Table

Join Meathead and Clint Cantwell, along with:
    • Annella Kelso, Snake River Farms' Meat Maven
    • Award-winning competition cook Blane Hunter
    • Chef John Padelford

You've seen it on TV, read about it, and perhaps even cooked it. But what exactly is wagyu beef, how does it compare to the famed Kobe beef, how does cooking this highly marbled meat differ from other grades of beef, and why is it so popular on the competition circuit? We've got it all covered!

Last edited by Meathead; November 14, 2021, 04:23 PM.

Bump. It's TONIGHT! 7:30pm Central, 8:30pm Eastern. Who doesn't love Wagyu? You if you haven't tried it, that's who. Join us!

Comment

It is suggested to do a happy hour on Spam and Hot Dogs.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Why hasn't Spam made Spamdogs? Similar meats & production, so why has this not happened? inquiring minds and all...

Hmmmm. I have things to do tonight, but I'd like to make it. I'll have to see what I can pull off!

Comment

Comment

Thanks Clint fer arrangin this, I learned some, an had a great time with yer very knowledgable, personable, an humorous panel, Sir!

Comment

Are these events recorded for those of us who can't join in at the appointed time?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup. I often miss em fer various reasons.

It usually takes a few days, mebbe a week to be added, average.

Nice to see ya, Brother!
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 13, 2021, 10:44 AM. Reason: +t

This was a really fun and interesting happy hour discussion!! Everyone should watch it when it’s posted!

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup. I am super interested in catching the replay.

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              STEbbq it is worth it!!

Okay, I'm wait'in for, but not finding, a link to the replay. it's been over a week, so I thought mayve I missed the link.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope, you didn't miss it. It will be posted above when ready. It just takes a bit.

• zinfella
              zinfella commented
              Editing a comment
              Okay, thanks!

Notice above, the Wagyu Beef 101 Happy Hour has been posted above (main top post)! STEbbq zinfella Wedunne

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Gonna start watching them tomorrow morning!

This is absolutely fascinating stuff.

It would be cool to see a follow-up on pork grades (comparing grocery store grades to say Iberico and explaining the differences), or even how to pick the best quality turkey or chicken. I think we know about wagyu now, what is really worth paying up for across pork, chicken, and turkey if you can find it? I don't even know if there's anything comparable to wagyu for turkey or chicken (other than heritage breed...which strikes me as a nebulous marketing term and ill-defined).

Thank you all for the education thus far.
            Last edited by STEbbq; November 18, 2021, 02:57 PM.

Comment

I don't know if we can follow-up, but after watching this, I have a few more questions:

1. Chef Blane, I think mentioned starting off the wagyu brisket at 500 initially and taking it down to about 300, and cooking the brisket in perhaps 4-6 hours. Is he cooking to say 180-190, which is what I've read folks do around here for wagyu, or until probe tender, or something else? Does he do the same with prime brisket, or is this a wagyu-only thing, and prime is low & slow?

2. It was also mentioned that the thinner steak cuts (bavette, petite tender etc.and anything I'm assuming we'd be aiming to sear to around 130-135 typically) should be taken to 140 or so and over-seasoned for the best finish? When we refer to over-seasoned, what would be a good guide in terms of amount of seasoning per pound?

3. Would you still want to over-season a wagyu brisket similarly?

4. Any thoughts on any differences between Akaushi wagyu versus American wagyu (SRF)?

This was an absolutely fantastic Happy Hour, so kudos for finding such an engaging group and asking some really good questions.
            Last edited by STEbbq; November 18, 2021, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Good questions, STEbbq . I'll need to watch this as I am doing my Akaushi brisket overnight tomorrow night. I need to figure out whether to pull if at 185 or 205 or somewhere in between as I keep seeing conflicting info. Hopefully the probe will tell me, though I'm not used to taking instant reads as early as 185.

Comment

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                I am guessing Chef Blane goes off feel and if the brisket is jiggly enough which equates to probe tender, but I would be interested to know what he actually does.

And 185 is a good temp to check for doneness based on my read of past cooks here. I would be surprised if you need take it past 195.
                Last edited by STEbbq; November 18, 2021, 04:27 PM.

• Red Man
                Red Man commented
                Editing a comment
                Joey877 I did a Click Akaushi brisket last weekend. It was probe tender at around 200 and took the usual amount of time for me, about 10 hours at around 250.

Well, like the name of this website, that video was amazing! In a way, I'm glad that I've never tried cooking Wagyu before, because this video told me that I would probably have not cooked it correctly, so thanks for all of the good info!

Comment

Great info and cooking tips. Thanks for presenting it to us.
                Side note: How do I (a consumer) order King Crab from Market House Meats (from Jonathan Peddle)?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here