Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Homer Explains The Meat Shortage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Homer Explains The Meat Shortage

So where is the beef, on vacation? With all of the scary news regarding "shortages" in our food supply, especially beef many people are asking what is going on?

Well the truth is there are plenty of cattle, and truck loads are ready to go to market, except they can’t get there.

Will Homer COO of Painted Hills Natural Beef from Fossil Oregon sat down in the Turn it don’t Burn it studio with JT to explain what is going on. The conversation starts with the producers and then takes on the processing program and what is happening with those operations.

And, how Covid-19 has a lot of people in this chain out of work.

Then to wrap it up distribution and retail get a complete exam on how those processes work and how all of this is affecting the consumers.

This show could very well give listeners insight on just what it takes to get that rib-eye in your store and how the slightest glitch in the supply chain can make it difficult for many people at home.

Pretty much what we hear down here in Texas. Tons of cows, just getting them slaughtered and boxed to the cutters is the log jamb. We still have plenty of product on the shelves, just a bit expensive and the quality beef just isn't available like we're used to.

Comment

Even our local small town processors are busier than they've ever been. I have a neighbor that has a steer ready to be processed. One local butcher said he could get to it next April. I thought that was a bit extreme, but he called one of the well known processors in Munster, Tx. and was told it would be at least mid Feb. It would be difficult to hold a grain finished steer anywhere near that long. It will more than likely go back on pasture until Jan. then go back on grain for 30 to 40 days. Finishing a steer twice will make for some costly beef.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup sounds about right to me. I have been open about 5 months and am filling up October with November and December blocked off for deer hunting. So by the end of this week I will be out into next year!!

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Same up here in the Canadian market, farmers have to sit on finished stock longer now or as your example end up having to re-finish them again for shipping.

Here come the direct-to-consumer meat sales startup companies. I can see it on Shark Tank already. $20,000 in sales in their first year, phone app that needs a $150,000 re-design, asking $200,000 for 5% of the company on a $4 million valuation.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here