Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Episode 11 - July 7, 2016 - Huskee interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 11 - July 7, 2016 - Huskee interview

This week: We hit the news desk, meet and greet another forum moderator, I rant on pellet cookers (kind of) and take a look ahead at this coming weekend's calendar of events! ENJOY!!

Pay about $25 to hear YOUR interview. I got a bargain!

"Day job - night shifter.....whoa!"
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; July 7, 2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• BBQCentralShow
      BBQCentralShow commented
      Editing a comment
      I pimp the Club wherever I can...even at the expense of strangers!! :-)
      Last edited by BBQCentralShow; July 7, 2016, 12:21 PM.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      TRUE pimp!!!

Great interview Huskee I especially like what you said about the stickburners.

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
    Great interview Huskee I especially like what you said about the stickburners.
    Thank you. #stickburnersunite

Greg it was nice learning you too run one. What do you have? BBQCentralShow

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yes, another Lang owner. Great choice BBQCentralShow I have the Lang 48" Deluxe

• BBQCentralShow
      BBQCentralShow commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have liked to get the 48" or bigger...the 36" is hard to run at anything lower than 300*. But it turns out a really good product!!

• vandy
      vandy commented
      Editing a comment
      BBQCentralShow I have a Lang 36 Hybrid Patio Deluxe and mine likes running at 250 to 275. I guess all of them are a little different. If I want to push it to 300 to 350 I use a lot more fuel but it still puts out great product.

As always another great show Greg, and thank you for giving Omaha a shout out today. Not to rattle the hornets nest or anything, but I have always wondered why pellet smokers were allowed in competition, but gas powered ones were not. In my eyes they are pretty much one in the same when it comes to set it and forget it.

They would have one huge can of worms on their hands if they ban pellet smokers for competition. Where would they stop? Next would be temp controllors. Bye-bye DigiQ, et al.

Comment

Great interview. I wonder if Meathead already has a barbecue cereal on the drawing board.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        or BBQ cookies

• I love mom
        I love mom commented
        Editing a comment
        .smoked oatmeal?

Great show as always Greg. My pellet grill is not going any where, the only judges I have to please are friends and family and my Camp Chef does a great job of that. ( as well as my Weber and SnS ) Waiting to hear Candy Sues thoughts. Loved your input Huskee, it is really enjoyable to get to know another side of the great people running AR

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Why thank you!

Very nice interview. It was so nice to get to know you better, Huskee .

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Many thanks!

Looking forward to interviews of the rest of the moderators! Personally, easily my favorite part. My least favorite part is the competition results.

Comment

Nice job Huskee It's kinda weird hearing your voice. hahaha, Good to hear a northern accent. At least I am not alone in here. I love the stick burner passion man. I am getting close to that Loaded Wichita. Hearing you talk about your pit made me wanna pull the trigger!

I am curious to hear what the IBCA will do regarding the pellet ban.
        I do believe that their is a point where its too automated, too inside kitchen type of thing. I don't know weather pellets should be banned. I don't know enough about cooking at comps to judge that. But I personally think that me using the KBQ in completion would be cheating. It makes too perfect of smoke. And all I have to do is feed it a log. when the firebox can hold more. To me its about fire, and how well you manage that. The electronic assist thing kinda takes that away. Yes, there is a fire and yes you have to maintain it, but there is also a fan and a thermostat. (in the case of the KBQ. In the Pellet rigs, its an auger, heating element and thermostat. I love my KBQ, It makes outstanding food but to me its not a Stick burner in the true sense.

I don't really buy the "if you want tradition, go dig a pit" argument. As I said before, To me, there is a point where its too automated. Although BBQ didn't start in offsets, it still requires you to build a fire and manually maintain it and the temp in the cooking chamber. To me thats BBQ. And it doesn't have to be all stick burners. Thats not what I am saying. I am saying if its automated in anyway. Drum smokers, Kettles and WSMs etc would all be totally fine.

I am not trying to start a fight with the Pellet Heads or my KBQ brethren. Hell, I already have a KBQ and I want a Pellet cooker. But for competitions, I guess I just wanna see more of an old school style of smoking. I am not saying we need to go to the extreme of digging hole in the ground. Just no automation. (Other than Thermos to check meat temp)

This is kind of a hot (ahem) topic right now, I am curious what others think.
        Last edited by Spinaker; July 23, 2016, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

I think some comps should be stickburners only, no elec. It would separate knob turners from those that can do the whole process, and to me that sums up a true *competition*. Then it'd be much more than just what rub & sauce do you use as the deciding factor, but can you control fire...

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          To clarify...I'm saying *some* competitions. As in there should be some set up solely for stickburners. Not saying *all* competitions should be that way.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah man I agree 100% Huskee

It's going to be tough for anyone to roll-back what cookers are allowed if they are "currently legal" already. The way the IBCA rule "reads" they shouldn't be allowed...however, the way it is "interpreted" is different...so they are allowed. I think if cooks thought pellet cookers gave them the best chance to win they would all be using them...but they aren't...so they use what they feel is best for them. The most prolific pitmasters have told me that, in the end, it all about tenderness and not what cooker you use.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here