Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PitCast #3 - News, Views, Steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PitCast #3 - News, Views, Steaks

In this week's episode we cover the week's news, talk steak with Michael McDearman, review some of last weekend's contest results, and answer some mailbag items.

Links mentioned in this episode:
    www.8myles.com
    www.meatingplace.com
    www.kcbs.us
    www.fbabbq.com
    www.getfiredupfoods.com
    www.whiskeybentbbqsupply.com
    www.thebbqcentralshow.com

Did I miss PitCast #3?

Comment

• BBQCentralShow
      BBQCentralShow commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn...got right ahead of myself!

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! That's ok, they didn't know how to count for Star Wars.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL, I just changed the count.

Love the direction you are taking this, Greg! Really informative.

But I have to pick some nits with Mr. McDearman for the benefit of listeners:
    He says to cook to 137-140 for medium rare, and I think most meat scientists and chefs agree it is closer to 130-135 after carryover. 137-140 is medium.

He also talks about resting a steak saying it rehydrates because moisture has run to the middle. First of all, once moisture has evaporated there is no way to get it back in or "rehydrate". Also, there is also no research evidence that the juices have run to the center. The juices are mostly trapped inside the fibers and can't go anywhere. As we know, when we cook, juices often pool on the surface, water evaporates from the surfaces, and it drips off, so there is plenty of moisture on the surfaces. I discuss the resting myth in detail here http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ting_meat.html

Finally he speaks of the maillard reaction as caramelization, a common misconception. The maillard reaction, the browning of the surface, is mostly changes in proteins and amino acids. Caramelization is a change in carbs and sugars. Meat has very few carbs and sugars. More on that here http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...elization.html

Comment

The embedded video is blocked at work (damn feds trying to make us earn those tax dollars!) Is there a direct link to the video? Is the podcast on iTunes or is there a plan to push it there?

Comment

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Because this is private to members only, there is no public link or iTunes link. But Greg has shortened it to 30 minutes so maybe you can hear it on your smartphone?

• martybartram
        martybartram commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks I can see it fine on my iPad, phone and home computer just blocked at work so no worries and I look forward to listening!

This is really boring. I don't have any interest in who was promoted at Smithfield Foods or Perdue chicken.

Comment

I want to see pics from folks that try out the low heat steak method.

Comment

• BBQCentralShow
        BBQCentralShow commented
        Editing a comment
        David Parrish, I actually use this method quite a bit and have great success! YMMV

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Got pics?

• BBQCentralShow
        BBQCentralShow commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope...but I will take some next time!

137-140° for medium rare steak? Really??

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        That is what I was thinking too so I am just passing it off as different strokes.

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
      137-140° for medium rare steak? Really??

I have a feeling he meant to say medium. Most steak competitions require medium, so I'm betting that's a temp he's very used to cooking to.

Comment

This widget links to episode 4 not episode 3? Anyone a link to the third episode?

Comment

• BBQCentralShow
          BBQCentralShow commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve_D12 This was an error we kept in just to see if anyone was listening...IF you listen to
          week 4 after this one you will see what I am talking about. :-)

BBQCentralShow Thanks! I'm binge DLing to listen and didn't realize love the show!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here