Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer, bone in front shoulder. What do I do with this thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer, bone in front shoulder. What do I do with this thing?

Never made venison anything, no clue about the meat, I would assume it would all be pretty lean but I don't know. It has been in the freezer for a while and they asked me to throw it on tomorrow while doing some brisket.
    I found a recipe for venison biltong which looks amazing, but not sure if you can do that with shoulder.

Jerod Broussard Is getting a callout because one of his pics was hunting, and I have seen him mention it a few times

We've always deboned that part. It is easily removed since it is not connected to the body with any bone joint.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      How do you cook it?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      If it goes to steaks it gets grilled and maybe wrapped in bacon. 1:1 ratio of bbq sauce and Italian dressing used as a marinade.

If you had more time I would debone and follow The pastrami recipe on AR. I have made it now 4-5 times and it gets devoured. Only difference is I only cook to 150 and hold according to the chart for cooking times with temperatures. Not sure I would steam either it comes out super moist and haven't had anything but compliments. I didn't steam it the last time, I think it comes out better.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      I would not have ever thought of that, he mentioned having a couple so maybe I will try that out. Guess I should find out if he likes pastrami...

Hmmmmmm, 2/2 for deboning.

Comment

The Outdoorsman Venison Pastrami it is! The front shoulder was weird, not as much meat as it looks. He also gave me a 3 pound roast so I think this is a good method. It is in the brine now, my only real concern is that there are several smaller pieces that I think may get too salty.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        "not as much meat as it looks"

I feel that way EVERY single time I debone a deer.

I ran out of shoulders and hams and needed to use up some back straps (loin meat) I cut them into three pieces and just kept moving them around each day. I still brined/pickled for up to 2 weeks once it absorbs the salt I don't think it will take anymore because it's smaller. I then de-salted in fresh water found that about 4 hrs was long enough for the smaller pieces averaging about 0.75 lbs. , larger pieces I would de-salt longer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here