Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer roast

Just received a 2 1/2 lb deer roast for moving snow. Looks pretty lean. Any thoughts? Initially I thought about grinding it with some pork for sausage but I’m curious as to what other options are out there.

Nice! I’ve cooked a ton of deer. Any more specifics? Type of deer? Which type of roast? Weight? Photos of it? Let us know so we can help. But my recommendation so far is to reverse sear it, it’s a delicacy!

Comment

A friend of mine made this recipe and it was delicious! I have a venison roast standing by for this: https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/be...venison-roast/

I'm thinking some parsnips would be good in this recipe in addition to the carrots. The beer my friend used (Lazy Magnolia Pecan Porter) was great in this recipe, but for something different I'm thinking a full bodied red wine would be good too.
      Last edited by 58limited; February 6, 2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Braising is a great way to get it tender and not cook all the moisture out.

• Greatplainsbrewer
        Greatplainsbrewer commented
        Editing a comment
        Leaning toward this- beer of course would be home brewed

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Greatplainsbrewer I made this when the ice storm hit my area a couple of weeks ago, turned out great! I added the parsnips and some celery. I used the pecan porter and some beer from my local brew pub - a honey blond. I made 10 gallons of venison bone stock during deer season and used it in the recipe and added a 1/2 cup of red wine. Great cold weather comfort food. I'm a home brewer too but I haven't made anything in awhile, I hang out at the brew pub a lot.
        Last edited by 58limited; February 28, 2021, 10:26 PM.

I take a lot of mine and grind half and half with bacon ends. Then all of that gets turned into hamburgers, meatloaf, chili, etc......I season with red pepper and black pepper by weight at grinding, same as I would when making sausage. Bacon ends bring plenty sodium to the party.

Comment

I slather dead deer meat cheap Italian dressing, season, and grill to MR, slice thin. Be sure to trim all the fat and silver skin for the best flavor. I only cook the sweet meat.
        Pairs well with PBR
        Happy grilling to you.

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          This is great advice, have had similar.

Personally I don't mind the flavor of venison, but some find it too gamey. If you cook it past medium rare it's likely going to dry up and get like leather. I have ground with pork fat (a LOT) and made sausage. But the suggestion from bbqLuv above is a good one.

Comment

I agree with Henrik. Reverse sear. Some years ago I had a beautiful venison roast..I put it in a hotel pan with some onions, garlic, carrots, beef stock, and some apple cider vinegar. I roasted at 275° until about 115°. Then I removed from pan and let rest for a few..Then seared..Final temp was 130° ash...Was tender and delicious. The acid in the vinegar helps to tenderize and seems to tone down any gamy flavors.

Comment

Chicken fried is popular in Texas, especially for back strap. Cut steaks about an inch thick, pound out to about 1/4 inch or so, flour and/or batter, and deep fry.

Comment

Black Forest Venison Roast

Debone it, try to keep it in one piece.
              Take a sharp fillet knife and fillet it from the outside-in. If you look at the end the cut would look like a spiral/jelly roll. You'll end up with 1 long flat piece of meat, thinner the better, I shoot for 3/8" thick.
              Sprinkle with lawry's seasoning salt.
              Place slices of a nice deli ham covering the roast.
              Next add slices of some nice deli swiss cheese.
              Next a layer of half cooked bacon. Throw the bacon drippings in the roaster.
              Now the fun part, roll the whole thing back up and tie with two strings like a sleeping bag. This is easier with a little help from the wife.
              Place in roaster with carrots, and seal with tinfoil.
              Cook at 350*F for three hours or until done.

Comment

+10 on trimming the silver skin and fat. Just get it down to the red meat. Venison is not gamey at all if you trim it properly.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                  Backroadmeats commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would say it has way more with how the animal is treated the first half hour after harvest than anything to do with the silverskin. I trim silver skin because it is tough to chew on roasts or steaks . But leave it in all my sausage and ya can't tell the difference..

Ha! Funny. I read this as "Dear Roast." Took me a second after I started to read.

Comment

Backroadmeats Yeah, really good point. I'd say it's a "both-and" rather than an "either-or" kind of thing. I've had the deer into the butcher in a few hours when the temps are too hot for me to hang / age the meat and have also hung them for 5+ days when it's cold enough to safely get the animal past the rigor rmortis stage. Too long in too hot of weather and it's gonna turn. Like you said, it's not as big of a deal in sausage, although I try to remove as much fat/silver skin as possible when I do the butchering anyway. But for just grilling the meat on steaks, roasts, back straps and loins, the fat and the silver skin REALLY taint the flavor of an other wise tasty cut of meat in my experience . Also, rare to medum rare at the max is about as done as it should get or it'll dry out and he flavor will change quite a bit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here