Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cook a boneless venison shank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to cook a boneless venison shank?

A friend of mine gave me a shank yesterday and I'm looking for some ideas on how to cook it. My first thought was to braise it with beef stock, red wine and aromatics in a Dutch oven at 275-300 for 3-4 hours. Also though about smoking it for an hour or two then braising it in the oven to finish. Looking forward to all of your suggestions!
    -Fritz

Ahhhh, the venison shank. So under appreciated! Typically, if it is boned out, I add it to my grind pile. That said, I absolutely love Steven Rinella’s shank recipes. One of his favorite preparations is Osso Bucco. He also has a great braised shank in adobada recipe. I think his recipe is for whole bone in shank, but I don’t see why you couldn’t do it with a boneless shank. You can check out the recipe video here. https://www.themeateater.com/watch/6...adobada-recipe

in my opinion, the best preparation for shank is probably braising. I haven’t tried smoking it, but I’m not sure how it would turn out. It can be a tough cut and is very lean.

Let us know how it turns out!

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      RickyBobby thanks for the input! I've braised ox tails, short ribs and other cuts so leaning towards that. Might smoke it just for a kiss of flavor then let the braising take care of breaking it down. We shall see!
      (Great video BTW)
      Last edited by Hulagn1971; January 18, 2021, 04:08 PM.

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a good plan, I’m looking forward to your results!

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      MeaterEater, eat more meat. Low and slow to a silky smooth fall of the bone.
      Great idea, after next season deer season. I am fresh out of dead deer.

Rinella is pretty good.

I like to take venison roasts, marinade them in the cabernet marinade I use for tri-tip. (I'm sure I've posted somewhere else here), and then put it all in the crock pot for 6ish hours.

You could probably smoke it first (to like 120-130 ish) and then put in the slow cooker if you wanted to add extra steps, and some smoke flavor.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Marinade I use -

Tri-Tip Marinade

1/2 Cup Cabernet
      1/3 Cup Sugar
      1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
      2 Cloves Ginger (or 1/4 Teaspoon ground ginger)
      2 Cloves Garlic (or 1 Teaspoon minced)

another cup cabernet for the cook.

Definitely needs some slow water based cooking at some point.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here