Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer roast and quail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer roast and quail

I did a nice grilling session this weekend. I visited some friends, and they had bought 6 quails. We also had a deer roast. It was a bit of an unusual cut. The rear leg (thigh) was cut as a perpendicular ”slice”, as you can see from the pictures. The bone is going through the roast vertically. Usually you cut it lengthwise, separating each muscle into its own cut, but here we had 4 cuts in one.
    Either way, I decided we smoke the deer roast with pecan wood, and do direct grilling (only) for the quails.
    I dry brined the roast the day before, and the birds were wet brined.
    I got the Weber Kettle fired up, using briquettes. I had it running at 150° C (300° F). A bit higher than usual, but the meat was of such good quality I didn’t think there was any point in running at 225° F.

The deer on the grate
    Click image for larger version

Name:	deer1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	91695

After about 2 hours of smoking the deer I sprayed it with simple syrup (water+sugar mix), to caramelize it. I took it up to 50° C (122 °F) internal temp before searing. I got it up to 60° C (140° F) after sear.

The deer, getting ready for the reverse sear

Name:	deer2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	91691

We then grilled the quails directly. They were cut in half lengthwise, rubbed with a bit of oil and salt and pepper. They got a good sear, it didn’t take long as they were so small. But they turned out very nice!

Quails, oiled, salted, peppered

Name:	quail1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	91692

Quails on the grate, being seared

Name:	quail2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	91693

After the quails were done we gave the deer a good reverse sear, then let it rest while eating the quails.
    Since the deer roast were four cuts in one, I split it with a knife into four parts, then cut the parts in thin slices. This helped so alll parts were cut perpendicular to the fibers.
    It was all served with a fresh summer salad consisting of: spinach leaves, diced strawberries, blueberries, roasted pine kernels and goat’s cheese.
    I can highly recommend it, the blueberries in the salad went exceptionally well with game meat.

Quails, they look a bit small on that plate, but the flavor was great

Name:	quail_plate.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	91689

And here's the main course, deer roast (sorry for the pic, I started eating before remembering to photo it)

Name:	deer_plate.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	91690

What would I do different?

Well, the deer was just perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. It was super-moist, and with great flavor, accompanied by the pecan smoke. The quail was also good, but I think I would rub it with some allspice the next time.

Attached Files

Love me some quail. So much white meat, so little time.

I love it anyway I can get it. I use Allspice in all my recipes to replace Ginger where ever it is called for.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here