Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking bear meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking bear meat

Good day, all!

My bro-in-law went bear hunting in AK last year, and brought back a bunch of bear meat. Since he knows I do a lot of smoking he asked if you could smoke bear meat, to which I replied "you can smoke anything!"

Since I've never done it, I wanted to ask and see if anyone else has any tips, and what you did when smoking yours (if you have).

Thanks in advance!

I smoked a couple of bear roasts for a friend. Did them like a brisket. He was extremely happy with the results. Tender and juicy. (A little too gamey for my taste.) I used a rub I would use on beef that is mainly salt and pepper with a little garlic powder and a few other spices.

Comment

Yes you can smoke it. Low and slow since it will be greasy and you need to render some of that fat. Minimum meat temperature should be around 190 to make sure the worms (Trichinosis) are dead. If you have large pieces cut them up into smaller pieces about 3 lbs each. If you have a large amount of fat, trim it down to about a 1/4”. Some will say that if it is a young bear you don’t need to marinade it but do so anyway. I’m sure you can find a marinade listed somewhere on the web that you will like. I use to use buttermilk and salt but any marinade will do. Bear meat take rubs really well. I also don’t recommend a hot and fast bear steak; talk about something that will be tough and greasy.☹️
      Before my avocation was bear photography it was bear hunting.

Comment

Interested to see your results. We're going on a black bear hunt in August and are wondering if the meat is worth taking back.

Comment

Neighbor saw a black bear by my pete field last week. If he comes back I'll ask him how he'd like to be done.

Comment

Make sure he doesn't steal your pic a nic basket

Comment

• Ricardo
              Ricardo commented
              Editing a comment
              .🤣

• JCGrill
              JCGrill commented
              Editing a comment
              If he's wearing a hat or a tie, shoot him.

I've read that bear benefits greatly from dry aging. Here's an article from several years ago. They dry aged for a week.

Comment

I read somewhere that bear meat has the worst trichinosis of any animal now, so do cook to very well done as mentioned above. That stuff can kill you and there is no cure once infected.

Comment

• JCGrill
                JCGrill commented
                Editing a comment
                Trich in bear is very real.

scottdware
              I did some searching on YouTube and there seems to be a few worth while videos there. One clear recommendation I noticed was cooking it to 200F for safety reasons. Seems like there is a parasite that can be easily eliminated with heat, so it’s safe to eat once pasteurized so to speak. Some recipes look pretty good. Of course, most of the videos aren’t worth leaning on, but there are several worth checking out.

Comment

Thank you all for the suggestions and recommendations! I really appreciate it!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here