Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elk Stew or?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk Stew or?

I just got a, about, 5lb elk roast. I'm thinking about a Jalisco Style stew or a Elk Carne Guisada con Napalitos (stew with cactus pedals)
    Can I treat it like pork or beef? Thinking smoked for about 2 hours then finished in the stew.

suggestions?

Or!

Personally & this just me, I wouldn’t smoke it for 2 hours. I’d be afraid of dryin it out. Elk is some pretty lean meat. For your stews I’d chunk it up & cook it, over a fire to get a wisp of smoke. I’ve got quite a bit of elk in my freezer & I cook it directly in a skillet or a quick sear& cook a steak. Be careful. I am not an expert since this is my first elk. Enjoy!

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan Thanks, didn't think it through on the smoking.

grind it with some bacon and make a fantastic burger.

Comment

+1 on FireMan post....It is really lean so drying out is a concern. I would think this would be a perfect time for Troutman 's QVQ method.

Medium rare brisket in and of itself seems to be a contradiction. We’re so used to the low and slow, take it up to over 200* succulent but well done brisket that we all strive to

Comment

ofelles I'd vote for, as you mention, the Jalisco 'birria' style braised method of cooking. As mentioned elk is way to lean to try and roast or open fire cook. To me it needs the help of either some additional fat or braising. Ship it over to me and I'll give it a go and let you know

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman I problem with shipping it to you is will the currant state of deliveries even nextday could be next week! Plus you letting me know is just not the same as eating it.
          Ya I'm leaning to the Jalisco style and maybe throwing in some bacon also for the fat.. I had great success with some goat meat in one.

Originally posted by ofelles View Post
        a Elk Carne Guisada con Napalitos (stew with cactus pedals)
        Who knew you can pedal a cactus?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here