Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild pig backstrap (loin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild pig backstrap (loin)

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to cull some wild pigs from a friends ranch in Texas earlier this month. The only thing I kept from the 2 I shot were the backstraps (loins) from the smaller pig (about 80 lbs -pig; not loins ).

I'm thinking bacon wraped and smoked would be appropriate. I did a little research here and on a couple other BBQ forums and didn't find any recipes specific to wild pig. I'm sure I could probably put together a recipe that would work, but thought maybe somebody here might have some first hand experience with wild pig loins. Since the loins aren't that big, I don't think any of the many stuufed loin recipes will work. So what have you got for wild pig loins?

I've been invited back next March/April to try for my very first wild turkey and more pig culling. I'll be bringing back the turkey breasts and some more pork loins (I hope). these will aslo be smoke cooked pellet style.

Nice to have friends!

Comment

I cook like regular pork adjusting that it is leaner and needs to come to higher than the usual Medium done temperature to kill parasites etc. i have posted several cooks using feral hog. There is no "game" taste if you processed it properly.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        what he said.

Stuff it and bacon wrapped is good. You can cut it out into little mini chops and serve over wild rice with a mushroom, chili, tomato, cream gravy too. Those are my two go-tos. Can batter and chicken fry as well.

Comment

• dubob
        dubob commented
        Editing a comment
        As I said above: "Since the loins aren't that big, I don't think any of the many stuffed loin recipes will work." These loin strips are very small and not suitable for stuffing. I am leaning hard toward bacon wrap though.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        can you not roll fillet them? Maybe pork Wellington then. The puff or filo dough and prochutto.traps a lot of moisture inside

• dubob
        dubob commented
        Editing a comment
        "puff or filo dough and prochutto" - I have absolutely no idea what that means. I guess I'll have to do a little research on those terms.

We have an almost inexhaustible supply of feral pigs. I like to give the loins a light rub and low smoke for about 30 minutes at 225. I wrap them then in foil and put them back on for an hour. They're so easy to dry out., but done this way they will melt in your mouth. If you are fortunate enough to get a small pig or two on your next trip try this. We take the ones that dress out to about 20 pounds and cook them whole. We do go ahead and skin them when we harvest them. Put it on the smoker, again low and slow, smoke it for about an hour then with a good rub. When you take it off place it in a Reynolds oven cooking bag, then in the oven at 225 for about 6 hours. It will fall off the bone and be some of the best pork you've eaten.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        I was using this method long before AR taught me the importance of IT. I'm sure they are well above what would be considered an optimal temp. My only defense there is fear of parasites. I did try bacon a couple of times. It did add some much needed fat and did impart a good flavor, but having been wrapped it was too soggy for me to want to eat the bacon. You may be able to tie a couple of them together and bacon wrap. That would give you a little more volume and less chance of drying them out.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Oak Smoke try par cooking the bacon first. Cook it enough the fat starts to render but that it is still flexible enough to wrap. The at the end, sear the bacon under the broiler or over direct heat on the grill.

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        texastweeter thank you, I will

I stuff it with bacon and cheese and it looks like a character in PvZ it was quite disgusting to look.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here