Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venison Deli Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison Deli Meat

I was lucky enough to shoot a couple nice deer this season. I've saved a couple of the round roasts and cleaned em up real nice.
    I really want to make a venison deli meat, like roast beast or pastrami. Has anyone tried this yet? Any good recipes to look for? I've made regular pastrami from brisket before and could adapt, but just curious to see how other's might attack this.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191115_101645.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	775526

Name:	IMG_20191129_191329.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	775525

I bet venison pastrami would be GREAT!

Comment

• KenC52
      KenC52 commented
      Editing a comment
      It is!

I looked at this a long time ago and your post reminded me of it. I have never made it and cannot vouch for it. But it is interesting:

How to make venison ham, based off the alpine Italian mocetta, a sort of air-cured, dried goat leg. Use a hind leg from a small deer or antelope.

And congrats on taking a couple nice ones.
    Last edited by Murdy; December 3, 2019, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I make lots of venison pastrami . Use the recipe for curing regular pastrami from AR . Then dust with garlic powder and pepper.. I smoke at 225 til IT of about 165 or so..

Comment

Backroadmeats Thanks! I was heading that direction as well.
        How long are you normally curing it for? The calculator is showing my something in the neighborhood of 15 ish days. Does that sound right to you? It is a rather thick round, so I'm not to surprised.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          I use a different method of doing it that I have been using for years. I would post you weight and thickness on here and take Spinaker up on his offer to help with the calculations..

If you send me your numbers, I can run the calcs for you if you want to make sure you are good to go. This will be awesome!

Comment

• BigCountryQ
          BigCountryQ commented
          Editing a comment
          One of them is 1lb 15oz (0.863kg) and 2 3/4 in thick.

I ran the calculator and came up with 11.2g of P#1 and 5.8 days

• BigCountryQ
          BigCountryQ commented
          Editing a comment
          The other is 2lb 6oz (1.078kg) and 3 in thick.

I ran the calculator and came up with 11.7g of P#1 and 6.9 days

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          You are good to go on the first and second one. (Assuming you ran the calcs as "Tube/Cone". ) Have fun with it! Make sure to share your results with us! BigCountryQ

A one time co-worker of mine makes venison pepperettes.
        Sorry I have no recipe to share but they were good, really good....

Comment

So here are some progress pics so far.
          I have 2 of them and they are in separate brines.

Name:	IMG_20191211_063512.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	778222

Name:	MVIMG_20191211_194010.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	778218

I took them out and rinsed them off. In hindsight, I think I should have cleaned up the silver skin a bit more. But we'll roll with it and see how it turns out.

Name:	IMG_20191211_194132.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	778219

I then seasoned them up.

Name:	IMG_20191211_194824.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	778220

Now they are wrapped up. I employed a trick I learned a while back. I didn't want them sitting unwrapped in the refrigerator or in the garage due to my kids not being careful. So I lightly coat the outside in non-stick spray and wrap them up. This helps to keep the rub on. And now they'll sit until Saturday when I can get back to them again.

Name:	IMG_20191211_195548.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	778221

Comment

My mouth is watering looking at those roasts. Yum!

Comment

Nice !!!

Comment

So, I finished this project up this weekend. Let me tell you, it was phenomenal!
                It was a great farm to table experience and more learning was had.
                As promised, here are the final results. Don't let the knife fool you, this was mostly sliced on my slicer.
                I cooked it to an IT of 165° which took ~ 7.5 hours.
                Topped the sandwich with kraut, homemade Russian dressing and swiss cheese.

Name:	IMG_20191215_182828.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	779682

Name:	IMG_20191215_201658.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	779683

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                  Backroadmeats commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup!! I would say ya pretty much nailed that.. nicely done.

Now that is some good looking pastrami.

Comment

Damm that looks good!!! Not many deer around my neck of the woods unfortunately..

Comment

Just finished slicing venison pastrami. 2 lb roast used a recipe for regular beef pastrami. Put roast in a hard plastic container and covered with the corning liquid. Put a stainless steel rack on top of it to keep it submerged. Put in the refrigerator for 5 days. Pulled it out, dried it off, rubbed it down with light olive oil, and put on a thick coating of a 50/50 mix of coarse ground black pepper and coriander seeds. Put it on a pellet smoker with hickory pellets and smoked it to an internal temperature of 140 degrees. Every 20 minutes I spritzed it with light olive oil, turning each time. When it reached 140 I pulled it off, vaccume sealed it, and put it in a 150 degree sous vide for 24 hours. Pulled it out, cooled it to room temp, then refrigerated it overnight.
                    when I took it out this morning the roast was really hard but when I sliced it, it was super tender and delicious! Put it on the electric slicer and it is better than anything I have bought at the deli!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here