Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Whole Wild Goose recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Whole Wild Goose recipe

Waterfowl season is upon us here in Utah. I was lucky enough last week to get a Greater Canada Goose that went about 12 lbs. It is fully plucked and ready to cook. I have smoked many different game birds in the past (including whole geese) on a Weber Smoke/Grill kettle and in a Bradley smoker. I've never done one on a pellet grill since I only got a pellet smoker/grill this year.

I've looked all over 4 BBQ websites and can't seem to find a recipe for smoking a WHOLE goose on a pellet pooper. So, can any of all y'all help a newbie pellet cooker out with this? I can probably figure out from my own past experience how to accomplish this, but if I don't have to re-envent the wheel, i'd be much happier.

So, can anybody point me to a pellet smoking specific recipe for a whole, wild Canada goose?

Sorry, no pooper experience at my house. The only goose I've cooked was my own.

Comment

I doubt you'll find any pellet-specific recipes out there. However, you should be able to easily adapt something like this recipe from Thermoworks to your needs.
      Last edited by MBMorgan; October 19, 2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting read, I was going to say should be like the turkey I smoked last week.
        Good thing I kept my big mouth shut, not completely different but some major differences.

• dubob
        dubob commented
        Editing a comment
        BINGO! 😁
        I like it. It's printing out as I write this. Exactly what I was looking for. I'm sure it will work on my CC Woodwind SG. You are a scholar and a gentleman and your kindness is exceeded only by your good looks and charm. 😄

I smoked a goose once on a WSM and the gease drippings overflowed the waterpan and made a greasy mess all over the deck. I think there's to much fat in a goose for smoking.

Comment

I think Bkhuna is correct to caution you. I fried up 12 bone in skin on goose breasts once and ended up with about a quart of liquid fat. So watch it closely

Comment

I've cooked a goose several times and I don't want to do it anymore. I had to water him with fat all the time to keep him dry. It wasn't bad, but it was long and difficult for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here