Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goose jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goose jerky

My nephew showed up with 15 geese he shot yesterday. Wanted to know what to do with them so we sliced 15 lbs for jerky. 5 I smoked the other ten lbs of them one of the kids had a dehydrator so he took those. I also have 8 lbs of goose pastrami brining in the refrigerator.. here is some pics of the jerky. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191018_140726.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	757838Click image for larger version

Name:	1571436515394362140874350653718.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	757839

I guessed you skinned them? Plucking 15 geese would be a pita... looks great

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. Wild geese you pretty much just take the breasts out.. the legs are so tough and very little on them. Turned out well.

I would have kept a couple of the smaller ones for smoking, They are good slow smoked.

Comment

Knowing everything going on in your neck of the woods, just how did you find the time?🙂 This looks like it is going to be good.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      I am a sucker for kids.. I cut up a deer for my friends 14 year old kid in the morning that he shot hunting behind my house. Then the nephew showed up and wanted to use my slicer.. they have no idea what they are doing but we're gonna make jerky. I couldn't let them screw it up or get sick..plus they stop over to taste test the stuff and I always have some task for them to do!! That 17 year old back is way stronger than this one!!

That looks great! I had goose jerky for the first time this past Thursday: A friend shot several in Canada and brought me some - delicious!

Comment

Pastrami sounds fantastic. Gets me thinking.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        What are you thinking??😃😃

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Backroadmeats I like pastrami, and you certainly don't have to use beef. Seems like a great way to use game. I don't hunt, but I sometimes get my hands on some game.

JCGrill i make pastrami out of anything.. duck, venison,, beef, wild turkey. Great way to use wild game!!

Comment

And they make a great dried sausage.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          I have never tried doing that.. I have lots of books and ideas though.. what kind of sausage do you make out of goose??

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Backroadmeats
          Everything from Slim Jim style to larger summer type. I like the former, which a lot of folks I know in upper Michigan make commonly. I'll see what I can dig up.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here