Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i cook a hare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it an old grey hare? 'Cuz I heard it ain't what it use to be.

Comment

At 5 lbs each, I would braise it. Cut into 8 12 pieces. Chop onion carrot celery and sauté to translucent add hare brown, add white wine and evaporate. Add hare liver and heart, chopped or puréed (if u don’t have, chicken liver works.) add can tomato te paste sauté until you smell tomatoe paste. Add chicken broth, about 2 cups. Cover and simmer. Add mor broth or tomatoe sauce if needed. Cook until fork tender.

you could marinate the hare pieces overnight in wine white, carrots celery and onion bay leaf juniper berries crushed 5.

Comment

Hair? I always wear netting to cover any hair.

Comment

One of the best ways I've found to cook gamey and lean meats is confit. To remove the gamey flavors, marinate (in this case hare) in a weak to medium acid solution. Think dry wine, vinegar, or citrus, diluted and salted. Proportions are equal parts dry wine and water, or, 1 part vinegar to 1 1/2 parts water, or, 2parts lemon juice to 1 part water. Herbs to your fancy. After marinating over night, submerge in melted fat(lard, shortening, etc.) and cook for several hours at 225-250 till fork tender. Remove and cool. Then, season to taste and either smoke, or grill till heated through. The oil on the meat surface will attract smoke flavor well. If done properly, it will not be greasy at all. Any rub you like is fine. The oil will assist somewhat in helping the rub "cling."

I've used this method on our Alaska snowshoe hares, moose, gamey and stringy cuts of lamb, etc. It's effective and tasty, but takes a bit of time. Not time in working, but time in waiting for chemical reactions to take place.

For a place to start, find a saurbraten recipe and use the marinade and adjust the herbage to your liking.

I hope this helps..

Greetings from a still thawing Houston, Alaska.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B8F0674E-AD5A-4E54-8D7D-6D670A2C1D17.jpeg
Views:	338
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	675028

Comment

Comment

How do you catch a unique rabbit? You 'neak up on it. How do you catch a tame rabbit? The tame way.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here