Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swamp Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swamp Chicken

I'm very lucky to have a great daughter-in-law and son-in-law. The later is all about hunting, fishing, or anything related. Thought you might enjoy these photos of some tasty morsels he retrieved about 2 days ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	media-1550860077380-Feb_22_2019_12_27_PM.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	640239
    Click image for larger version

Name:	media-1550860067204-Feb_22_2019_12_27_PM.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	640240

Frog legs! Great eating.

Comment

I got to try frogs legs afew years back , i really enjoyed them .

Comment

My husband is a Mississippi River rat from Keokuk in southeast Iowa. He caught a few bullfrogs (and noodled for catfish) in his day. He keeps telling me how good they are (frog legs, that is), but I'm still waiting to find out.

Comment

Regional question: What do you call the fork like thing on a stick that allows one to collect frogs where you live?

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
            mrteddyprincess commented
            Editing a comment
            It's always been a frog gig around here. Doesn't sound like it's a local word, I guess. Do you go "giggin'?"

• NapMaster
            NapMaster commented
            Editing a comment
            Frog gig here. No gig normally used in S. Louisiana. You catch them by hand.

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Hubby tells me you're talking about a frog gig per the lingo in southeastern Iowa. He says he would use a bow to shoot the frog gig to catch frogs too far away to catch by hand. Or catch 'em with a fishing pole baited with red flannel.

So that’s what it looks like when ya get more’n one or two of em together.

Comment

That brings back my younger days. I was 19 when I learned frog legs were a delicacy! We hunted and ate them the whole time I was growing up. We had catfish, cotton tail, turkey, quail, and squirrel a lot. Being raised in the middle of nowhere had its advantages.

Comment

That's a lot of them. Wow. How many in total?

Comment

• NapMaster
                NapMaster commented
                Editing a comment
                I suspect around 100. My son-in-law did not provide the number, just the photos. I'm training him to provide real evidence, not just fisherman stories which are highly exaggerated.

Love fried frog legs, I usually refer to gator as swamp chicken. I read the title, then saw small things in the picture, and went "Uh oh". Then I thought those might be gator wings "come from the forearm". It wasn't till I saw the second photo before I realized I was looking at a bunch of la ouaouaron. Season them bad boys up with some cayenne salt pepper, garlic, the roll in flour and deep fry!

Comment

• NapMaster
                NapMaster commented
                Editing a comment
                You bet.

• NapMaster
                NapMaster commented
                Editing a comment
                texastweeter I've heard gator called swamp chicken many times. For me it fits the frogs better since the frog legs really do taste a good bit like chicken.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here