Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my biltong box loaded up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my biltong box loaded up

I decided today was the time to load my Biltong box with some meat. I guess I'm in some kind of "drying meat" phase :-)

I had some wildboar tenderloin which I figured was a perfect candidate for hanging in my box. Said and done, I trimmed the silvery membrane, then rubbed it down with my own rub, and cut it in half. I didn't want it to touch the bottom of the box. I bought some real small meat hooks online. So now the two halves are hung, and I turned on the fan. I'm gonna wait 2 weeks, then slice it and taste it. Will report back then. Exciting times!

Here's my homemade box, dead cheep, and took like 30 minutes to assemble (all parts are available from Home Depot or similar).

Click image for larger version  Name:	biltong-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	531.6 KB ID:	629798

Here's me, applying the rub:

Click image for larger version  Name:	biltong-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	524.9 KB ID:	629796

Cutting it in half to make sure it fits:

Click image for larger version  Name:	biltong-3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	449.4 KB ID:	629797

And here's the meat in the box. Now all I have to do is wait...

Click image for larger version  Name:	biltong-4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	354.8 KB ID:	629795

Did you do any curing or the old vinegar soak before drying?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, just applied the rub which contains salt. We’ll see how it goes.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      When I make biltong I don't do the viniger thing anymore and I don't notice any difference.

Looking forward to your results, my friend!

Comment

Time for a follow-up. Today was two weeks ago, so I unplugged the box and removed the meat. Both cuts 'felt' right, you want a little flex (it should be a bit soft in the middle). I sliced and tasted, real good. The rub was a nice complement, and the meat tasted great. Considering the almost zero effort I'm gonna do this a lot more, with different cuts of meat.

How about this and your favorite libation?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Biltong.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	635999

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, that look good!

Very cool!

Comment

Henrik, is your wild boar raised like beef (and therefore safe) or is it actually wild and hunted (possible trichinosis concern)?

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          😎👍

• Lock Stock and Barrel
          Lock Stock and Barrel commented
          Editing a comment
          Trichinosis comes from hogs eating garbage and fecal matter. It is almost non existent in the US now.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Lock Stock and Barrel - Except in wild hogs/boars here in the US.
          Last edited by MBMorgan; February 14, 2019, 11:18 AM.

that meat looks fantastic

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Tony!

So do you just throw the lid on the box and let it go, with the fan running? That's it?

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, it's that simple. Just keep the box at slightly lower than room temp. I put mine in the basement where it's 15° C (59° C). Air movement should dry it, not heat.

Is this a dehydrator? Does it have a fan and heater? More, tell much more...

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a plastic box with an extraction fan, that's it. By transporting air at a constant (low) rate, moisture is drawn out of the meat. It takes a while, and should take a while. But there is zero effort, so in the end still easy peasy.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          ..and no: no heater. Slightly lower than room temp is good.

Some comments/learning lessons for those that want to try it at home:

1. Apply a wet (yes: wet) brine 24 hours in advance. 8-10% is good. Otherwise there is too little flavor.
        2. A lot of recipes calls for dipping in vinegar, and sometimes more than once. The basic point of using vinegar is to lower the pH on the surface of the meat, to avoid possible mold early in the drying process. It also adds some flavor of course.
        Many recipes are overly complicated, requiring you to first baste it in vinegar, then dry and apply the rub, then rinse the rub off with vinegar (again), et.c. I say: skip that. A constant air flow (extraction) through the box prevents early mold, together with good hygiene and handling, as always.

How to do it (executive summary )
        A. Wet brine 24 hours
        B. Rinse/dry and apply rub. Leave rub on for at least a couple of hours. You want the flavors to stick/adhere before drying.
        C. Place meat in box, put lid on, turn on fan, wait.

So how do you know when it's done?
        You can begin checking after a week. Put on nitrile gloves and squeeze the meat between your fingers. If there's a slight 'give', then it's still a bit soft in the middle. You (or rather: I) want a slight give, it shouldn't be dried through and through. The outside is gonna be leathery, but the inside should look and feel like the prosciutto you buy in the store (air dried ham).

Pro tips:
        Make sure the meat is relatively even thickness. The thinner half of the tenderloin I did above was too dry at the thinnest end. I should have taken it out sooner.

Hanging different size cuts is perfectly fine, you just have to take them out sooner/later.

Comment

Henrik, do you know how they test wild boar for trichinosis in your country? Just curious.

Comment

Looks awesome

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here