Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pheasant recipe suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pheasant recipe suggestions

A friend gave me the bird last night. Thinking about smoking it. suggestions?
    thanks Orion

Good luck - I've never cooked one so I can't help.

Comment

Just google "smoked pheasant recipes" and/or "grilled pheasant recipes" and you'll get a ton of hits.

Comment

I used to do a lot of bird hunting; mostly duck but some pheasant and quail as well. On most game birds the number one thing you risk is over cooking and drying them out. They can pretty much be cooked the same way as chicken, going for that crispy skin at high temps, but make sure you do a good long wet brine, 6 to 8 hours worth, before cooking. That helps hold in moisture that tends to evaporate from the bird while cooking. Good luck !!

Comment

There are bunch of pheasant recipes/methods on this site. Just scroll past the initial junk on the page. https://honest-food.net/search-resul...st-food.net%2F

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow there is a lot on there. Thanks. I think I'll smoke the whole bird then make the Pheasant with Mushrooms and Cream with the breasts. Using the rest of the carcus for a stock.

I would also recommend that if this is a wild bird you soak it buttermilk or salt water brine and change them a couple times to help get some of the "gamey" flavor out of it. Enjoy!

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Planned on a salt brine over noght. Buttermilk?

• Sweaty Paul
            Sweaty Paul commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, buttermilk or regular milk. I prefer the buttermilk. Usually after I clean a bird I have rinsed it lots in water. I then put it in a plastic bag and cover with buttermilk. Will drain first round of buttermilk (usually in the morning), rinse, and then soak in new buttermilk (or brine) until I’m going to cook it at lunch or dinner. Helps lots.

• Sweaty Paul
            Sweaty Paul commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m a fan of pounding it out and pan frying. Also can make gamebird sausage. Another taste treat is putting strips in a jalapeño popper with bacon.

It makes the best jerky

Comment

I have smoked pheasant several times on the PBC. I do the whole bird although the meat on the legs has a lot of sinew and tendon in it. The PBC does a great job at this because of the moisture present. Have to be a little careful with wild pheasant as it can easily dry out.

Comment

My friend also gives me the bird. Never thought I could do more to it then curse.

Comment

I have 2 wild scottish pheasants in the freezer do looking forward to some results on this cook!

Comment

I have a meal option to share!

Smoke your pheasant, I prefer pecan. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook to 150-165 then allow to cool. Remove all the meat from the bones.

Saute sliced onions until golden brown. Do the same with sliced water chestnuts. Make a brown gravy (stock, flour etc.) or use a mix. Add a shot of white wine, add onions and waterchestnuts to gravy. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Add pheasant. Make white and wild rice mix. Toast slivered or sliced almonds over butter. Lay down the rice, spoon over the meat and gravy and top with toasted almonds.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here