Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moose Chuck Roast, smoked deliciousness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moose Chuck Roast, smoked deliciousness

It was time to smoke a chuck roast, but not your ordinary beef. Today I went with moose. I love the moose flavor, very lean, and the mild taste of game meat.

Moose Chuck Roast is a cut of beef that lends itself perfectly for some true barbecue. Even though it is lean, it does contains fat and connective tissue which means low 'n slow will do the trick. Here's how I smoke it. It cooks faster than a beef chuck roast, aim for 5-6 hours (excluding the rest period at the end).

Ingredients
    4-5 lbs (2 kilos) moose chuck roast
    2 tsp table salt
    1-2 tbsp coarse ground black pepper

Gear used
    Weber kettle
    Slow 'N Sear
    FireBoard
    Pit Viper fan

Smoke wood
    I went with maple wood chunks today. But oak, pecan, plum, apple et.c works just as well.

Temp used
    130° C (265° F)

Instructions
    The chuck roast doesn't need trimming usually. If you see a thin silver membrane somewhere, trim it off, but leave the rest of the fat. Now sprinkle the salt evenly all over the meat and leave it in the fridge overnight.

Raw moose chuck roast

Click image for larger version

Name:	Moose_chuckroast-1.jpg
Views:	1223
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	582041

Take the meat out of the fridge and sprinkle the black pepper evenly all over the meat, just like with the salt.

Moose + pepper

Name:	Moose_chuckroast-2.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	582043

Fire up your grill, have it running at 265° F. Add some maple wood chunks for smoking on the glowing embers. I used two maple wood chunks for this one.

Almost time for wrap, just a little more bark

Name:	Moose_chuckroast-3.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	582044

Smoke it until bark looks good, or inner temp hits 70° C (160° F). It usually takes 2.5-3 hours. Now wrap it in dual layers of aluminum foil. This is key, since the moose is rather lean. Put it back on the grill until inner temp is 95° C (203° F). Wrap it in a thick towel (or two), and faux cambro it for 1 hour. Then slice and serve. And for 'god and country', don't waste that delicious au jus. Pour it back over the slices.

Wrapped chuckie

Name:	Moose_chuckroast-4.jpg
Views:	988
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	582042

What could I have done differently?
    Well, I still think salt + pepper is all that is needed, I sure don't want to mask that lovely moose meat flavor. But I accidentally poked a hole in the aluminum foil this time (haven't done it in years), so a lot of juices leaked out, slowly, rendering it just a bit dry. Will not do that mistake again.

Other than that? Delicious!!!

Dig in, folks!

Name:	Moose_chuckroast.jpg
Views:	996
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	582045

Looks great! (is that älg?)

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, and yes it is!

Who woulda thunk it - moose chuck. I keep saying it, but this is an amazing site (amazing is in the title - why did I doubt?). I am pretty old, and I have never even imagined a moose chuck roast

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Another reason to go to Maine!

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, it's a pretty large animal, so that chuck roast is perfect for when having guests over.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, EdF. I'll make sure the better half doesn't see your posts lol. Henrik, it is a large animal. And I know some guys that hunt moose, among other things. They have brought me deer meat, but never moose. I am going to ask them about it.

Thanks for the comprehensive write up Henrik but they closed the moose meat market in my neighborhood

Comment

Great write up Henrik . Never tried Moose but would love too.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I'm sure you'll love it.

Good stuff.

Comment

Where can one procure moose?

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          You have to travel to the great white north with a very powerful rifle and a machete .

Good lookin' cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here