Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wildboar tenderloin, stuffed with figs, glazed with lemon curd, wrapped in bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildboar tenderloin, stuffed with figs, glazed with lemon curd, wrapped in bacon

I bought some real nice game meat last week (wildboar, deer, moose), so I figured it was time to fire up the grill. I created a new recipe for this one. Here you go, pit!

It turned out awesome. Playing with flavors, and balancing the sweet with salt and fat. I think I did good. The fruitiness of the figs goes great with (wild) pork, and it also matches the tang and sweetness of the lemon curd. And bacon, well what can I say, bacon complemented the meat ;-)

Ingredients
    20-25 oz wildboar tenderloin
    1 tsp salt
    4-5 tbsp lemon curd
    2-3 figs
    1 package of bacon

Instructions
    Trim off the silvery membrane on one end if needed. It is usually very thin. Now apply a dry brine with the salt, leave it in the fridge overnight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WildboarTenderloin1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	580635

Cut a pocket for stuffing: the easiest way to cut a pocket along the full length of the tenderloin is to lay it flat on a cutting board. Now place your hand flat on the tenderloin so it doesn't move around. Use the other hand to cut a deep pocket running the length of the tenderloin, minus an inch from each end. Brush a liberal layer of lemon curd on each inside of the pocket. Use roughly half the lemon curd. Save the other half for later. Slice the figs and place them in the pocket in two layers. Now fold it all up and wrap it all with bacon. Use either butcher's twine or a couple of toothpicks to hold it all together. I was all out of twine, so I went with tooth picks.

Name:	WildboarTenderloin2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	447.7 KB
ID:	580631

Name:	WildboarTenderloin3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	580633

Fire up your grill, I used my Big Green Egg with charcoal made exclusively from Cherry wood. Added a real nice flavor. Run it at 300° F (150° C), what I call "chicken temp". Place the tenderloin on the grill, close the lid and monitor temps.

Grilling the tenderloin takes roughly 30-35 minutes. When the inner temp hits 135-136° F it's time to apply the second half of the lemon curd. Use a brush to apply it all over the tenderloin. Close the lid and leave it in the grill for another 10-15 minutes. This caramellizes on the surface, which tastes great. The target temp we're aiming for is 144° F. Now all you have to do is bring it inside, slice it and enjoy!

The finished product, juicy and loaded with flavors

Name:	WildboarTenderloin.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	588.7 KB
ID:	580634
    Attached Files

Oh, man! That looks delicious. Good job, Henrik.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks brother!

So often individual threads get created that really belong on the "Show Us What You Are Cooking" thread. Not this one. This definitely deserved its own thread because of the unusual ingredients and creative technique.

Thank you for posting this, Henrik. I SO wish my family liked game meat because I would love to try and replicate this.

I may try this with a plain old pork tenderloin.
    Last edited by JeffJ; October 18, 2018, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Try it, it’s gonna work just fine. Wild boar doesn’t have that game flavor anyway, not compared to rabbit, deer etc.

Had me At curds

Comment

Now we're talking!

Comment

I should say that I’m usually not stuffing a lot, but felt I wanted to experiment on this one, since wild boar is lean, and doesn’t have too much game flavor.

Comment

Beautiful. Thank you.

Comment

OK, Henrik. This has got to stop! Do you ever do just plain--perhaps Hamburger Helper?

Just kidding. Your dish (and all the others you've done) looks spectacular!

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Willy! It sure is fun cooking outdoors!

Henrik, are you sure you work in IT?

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Last time I checked :-) I guess I’m ambi-busineouss? (paraphrasing ambidextrous...)

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here