Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sky Carp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky Carp

Out in the rice fields of Northern Ca we get loads of Snow Geese. They are a blast to hunt and the limits are rather high (15/Person). Unfortunately they have a bad reputation for taste. They call them "Sky Carp". This is most unfortunate since when properly cooked, they are fantastic. I take the breasts and brine them in a solution of 1/4 cup salt to 4 cups of water for a day and change the brine a few times. I then wash them off and cut them into chunks and marinate them in teriyaki marinade overnight. Wrap each with half a piece of bacon and skewer. I grill them over a wood fire and baste with teriyaki glaze as they cook. Here are the results from my last bunch this duck season. Everyone agreed that this app was the highlight of our cooks this year!

Click image for larger version

Name:	SNOW GEESE.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	57014

We skin our snow geese and blue geese and make a gumbo. The Whole carcass goes in the pot. All blues are snows, but not all snows are blues.

Limits are high b/c certain "people" had crawling geese outlawed YEARS ago. Populations sky rocketed, and the next thing you know, the geese are eating up the arctic grounds they spend their summers on.

Man that looks gooooooooooooooooooood!!!
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 26, 2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Man that sounds and looks awesome! And that's funny, sky carp, I like it. I've cooked some suckers before (like carp, trash fish) and if you cut out the not so good meat, and cook it right, it's great. I know exactly what you mean.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here