Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gator tail fillet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gator tail fillet

I just picked up some alligator fillets. I’ve never cooked them before. Any good tips from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I’d love to smoke them, but I hear breading them and frying them is better. Thoughts?

I've only had it breaded and fried. Loved it.

Comment

I've never smoked it to completion, only low / indirect smoked it until I was happy with th colour, then dissected, an completed in a batch of jambalaya... Good $#¡+, Maynard!!!

I'm certain others more qualified will weigh in, here, shortly!

Have a Great Cook, an enjoy that tail!!!

Comment

• Blackshirt BBQ
        Blackshirt BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do! Thanks

I've only had it breaded and fried (cut up like chicken tenders). It was in a restaurant a few miles outside of Lafayette, LA.

When I asked the server what it tastes like, she said (insert Cajun accent here): "Some folks say that ol' Mr. gator tastes like chicken. Other folks say that ol' Mr. gator tastes like rubba'. To me, ol' Mr. gator tastes a bit like a rubba' chicken."

It was delicious ... ...

Comment

I ended up soaking them in milk for a couple hours. Then dipped in an egg wash, then rolled in a mix of self rising flour, seasoned salt, rib rub, and lots of pepper. Deep fried them and they were perfect!! Great stuff!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect treatment!

Soaked in milk? Huh? Whst does that do to the meat? I don’t think I have ever soaked anything in milk.

Comment

• Blackshirt BBQ
          Blackshirt BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          You know ....... I’m not real sure. A friend of mine told me to do that, so I did. He’s cooked gator a thousand times, and I did what he said to do. It turn d out Great though.

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a favorite way of getting some of the gamey taste out of meat like venison before breading and frying. Plain milk or butter milk can be used. The acid in buttermilk helps tenderize the meat.

Glad to hear it worked out Great fer yall, an thanks fer sharin yer tips, techiques, etc.

Were ya able to grab us a few pics? I'm excited to see, since I haven't never, previous...

Comment

We don’t have many gators running around up hear. I’d be real interested in seeing the outcome.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	45C11C7B-49A0-4B66-9C53-0079D6D2B366.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	569800 I didn’t get any other photos this time. But I still have a pound of meat in the freezer. When I cook it, I’ll take several photos and post on this thread.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here