Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brine for Smoking Pheasants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brine for Smoking Pheasants

In my intro post I mentioned a brine for smoking pheasants that I have had tremendous success with. I don't recall how I found it and cannot take credit for it, but the results are excellent. I have had PF execs and other members tell me they are the best smoked pheasant they ever had.

Pheasant Brine for Smoking recipe is from The Gelineau Family Cookbook , one of the cookbooks created at FamilyCookbookProject.com. Family cookbooks are an important way to preserve our mealtime traditions for future generations with individual printed recipes or your own professionally printed cookbook.

So, this recipe is good for 6-8 pheasants. I find that you can confidently 2X or 4X the recipe for bigger batches. After using this recipe a few dozen times I have a coupe tweaks that are now consistent. I use about 25% less cloves. I also use 2X the ginger which works really well for pheasant and is pretty easy to skin (with a spoon) and dice. I also add one onion (quartered) and some peppercorns.

I brine a 4X batch in 13gal Rubbermaid totes with a little over 5 gals brine. It works well for 18-22 birds. I brine for 20-24 hours. I found if you stretch it to 30 hours or more the flavor is too sharp.

I do not rub them with anything they go on the smoker bare and do not touch them during the smoke. If you cook them to normal poultry 165F they will be a little dry but edible. They are more moist at about 155F and even 150F appears safe.

After the smoke, I squeeze two pheasants into one gallon ziplock bags, throw the bags in a cooler, and cover with ice for a few hours before they go into the fridge. I freeze a lot of them after vacuuming with a Foodsaver.

The recipe says it will work for other poultry but I have not tried. I harvest and either cook or smoke a lot of grouse but in my opinion they do need a brine, they are wonderful as is.

Thank you.

Comment

Looks good. May need to try it. I routinely use a cup of salt ant two cups of brown sugar per gallon of brine. Bribe for 12 hours. Smoke until 150ish. Baste with maple syrup a few times durin smoke. Turns out pretty good too!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here