Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on Moose Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Moose Roast

My nephew hunts, so I regularly get cuts of venison, moose, and sometimes grouse. Lucky me! I have a moose roast in the freezer that I am thinking about cooking in my pellet smoker. Moose tends to be very lean, and needs to be cooked to well-done (because it carries trichinosis). Normally I would pot-roast it to prevent it from drying out, but I'm curious to combine the gamey moose flavour with a smokey flavour.

I don't feel that wrapping the roast in bacon would be sufficient to prevent it from drying out. I've read about people inserting lardons (strips of pork fat) to introduce fat into the interior of lean cuts of meat. Has anyone ever tried this? Any suggestions regarding technique?

Thanks!

My take on these lean roasts is to make sure and have plenty gravy. Even cooking in a pot cooks the moisture out of it. We regularly cook cheap ZERO marbling chuck roasts in the oven. We brown like crazy first then let it ride in a shallow pool of water the rest of the way.

If I had to try in the pellee, I'd wrap in bacon and run 325, and have a pan with a little water below to catch the drippings.

Comment

I have never cooked something like a moose roast. Sounds like there’s a few curve balls. I’m curious as to the suggestions. From someone who wants to help but has no real experience, I would guess (and I mean guess) that you could inject rendered beef fat or beef broth through out it if you have an injector? Good luck and post pictures if you remember!

Comment

• Fire Art
        Fire Art commented
        Editing a comment
        That will help a lot Moose is pretty mild Opposed to deer not near as gaming

• jenzed
        jenzed commented
        Editing a comment
        Very helpful suggestion - thanks!

It makes the best jerky

Comment

Throwing the BS flag on that one! Moose does NOT carry trichinosis, so forget about that! Nor is moose gamey if properly trimmed of all fats. One of the mildest of the cloven hoofed venison’s! It is lean so drying out is a concern. My suggestion would be to sous vide at 130-135 for 48 hours, then give it some smoke and a hot sear at the end. Should end up tasty and tender!!! Even if you don’t believe me that trichinosis is not a concern, both freezing & SV for that time would kill them anyway. Good luck & enjoy!!!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          The Doctor has spoken.....

• Argoboy
          Argoboy commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with the Dr. moose meat does not trichinosis I think you are confused with bear meat? Cook it like venison or any other lean wild game and you will not be disappointed.

Little bit of a different if not strange first post but hey it is meat and you can cook it! Welcome to the Pit !!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here