Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camel steak grilled Argentina style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camel steak grilled Argentina style

Yes, you read that right, folks. Camel steak. I never would have thought of cooking one, let alone acquiring it, but here we go.

Background
    I turned 44 on New Year’s Eve, and a good friend of mine knows I like to grill a lot. So he thought he’d come up with a gift, something I have never cooked before, and he sure did. The steak was ordered online from someone who provides ”rare” meats. I did have a quick email convo with the supplier to figure out where (on the camel) the steak comes from. I also did some online reading to find out it is quite common to eat camel in different countries around the world, Australia being one of them.

Execution plan
    So, this steak comes from the haunch, or the hind leg. In my opinion a horse isn’t that different from a camel, which means it is rather lean meat. Also, since it is the rear leg, the steak should have ”ham-like” qualities. All this tells me I should cook it up to temp, but no higher. It should still be rare in the middle. Enter: Argentina style grilling. It was the obvious choice, since I will treat the meat with salt only, so I don’t mask its flavor.

Gentlemen, start your grills!
    Said and done, I fired up my Big Green Egg, using direct heat only. I covered the steaks with liberal amounts of flaked sea salt, and placed them on the grate. I let them rip for a few minutes, then took them off for a couple of minutes rest.

Inspirational fire picture
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fire.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	48789

The steaks and sweet potatoes, with PLENTY of flaked sea salt

Name:	camel_grill.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	48790

Sides to go with the steaks
    I made a bowl of ”Pico de gallo” and some grilled sweet potatoes. Pico de gallo is a Mexican tomato salsa, made using tomatoes, onion, cilantro, chili pepper and lime juice. Ask me if you want the recipe. The sweet potatoes were brushed with olive oil before grilling, and brushed with a mixture consisting of equal parts lime juice and olive oil after grilling.

The plate, with Pico de Gallo and sweet potatoes

Name:	camel_steak_1.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	48791

Closeup of the meat, not too good a picture, but it is plenty rare in the middle

Name:	camel_steak_2.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	48792

The verdict
    Definitely an interesting cut, it was lean, as expected, but tasted similar to beef. Fun to cook, but now I think I will get back to my regular beef/pork program.
    Last edited by Henrik; January 4, 2015, 02:06 PM. Reason: fixed a spelling error

First and foremost HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Very cool cook!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jon!

Happy birthday Henrick. What an amazing thing to be able to cook for your birthday.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Deuce. I actually cooked lamb on my birthday. This one went on the grill yesterday.

Nice job - looks delicious!

Comment

Nice... Most horse cuts I have had (Kazakhstan) were prety sweet tasting...same with camel?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, just a tad bit sweet. And lean. Very much like horse.

Oh... you forgot to mention....dromedary or bactrian?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I sure did. It is a bactrian camel.

• fracmeister
        fracmeister commented
        Editing a comment
        So that is the one hump version... they are much bigger aren't they? I also understand some people eat the fat in the hump.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        No, it's the other way around. Bactrian camels have two humps, dromedary camels have one. That's about all I know about these critters. Remember, I live in a cold Nordic country :-)

Nice Job Henrik... and Happy Birthday.

I would definitely try some camel meat if I could get some!

Comment

Happy Birthday Henrik!! Looks like another great cook!

Comment

I read camel and I kept asking " Guess what day it is?" LOL
          Happy belated birthday.

Comment

Another happy belated birthday wish!

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here