Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon Wrapped Venison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon Wrapped Venison

My neighbor gave me some venison tenderloin. I have never cooked this before. Reviewing online posts, everyone seems to say cook it low and remove at 125-130. Would appreciate advice on the following questions.

1. After removing all the silverskin, do you dry brine with salt at 1/2 tsp/lb like other meat? Does it require any special brine prep?

2. Plan to use John Henry Pecan Rub. This is on the sweet end of the spectrum and what I normally use for ribs. Is that ok for venison?

3. Planning on using the 22 kettle with Kingsford and cherry wood. 225 until 125-130 internal temp. Does that sound right?

4. Most recipes say wrap in bacon. Expecting a smoke of 1-1 1/2 hours at 225, will the bacon crisp up?

5. Does it need cambro or eat right away?

6. Any special way to slice it when done.

7. Do you serve it with any type of sauce?

If it’s tenderloin I’d cook it like beef tenderloin. Bacon wrapping helps offset the leaness of the meat. If you have a kettle and an SNS, just roast and reverse sear like any steak. I don’t normally cook venison so others may have other thoughts.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman Totally agree with you! You just answered first while I was composing!!!

jlazar, For My $.02, I think You May Want to Cook Venison to a Higher Temp❗️ We always Cooked it to the Same Temps as Pork for the Same Reasons‼️ I think You Will Love It With Bacon, Perhaps with a Few Onions thrown in❓ I always Used Catchup for a Sauce, Not too Sophisticated I Know❗️ Venison is Generally Very Tender and I Don't Believe it Would Benefit Much from the Faux Cambro‼️ You're In For a Treat, IMHOP❗️
    Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Danjohnston949 said: "We always Cooked it to the Same Temps as Pork for the Same Reasons‼️"

With all due respect Dan, what reason would that be??? Over cooked venison loin should at least be a misdemeanor!!!

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      HorseDoctor, In a Word Trichinosis❗️ Venison is a known Carrier❗️
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Wife & I only eat venison a couple times a week (for the past 35 years) so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Dry brine as normal. You will want to par-cook the bacon halfway before wrapping if you want the bacon crisp, otherwise the venison will be overcooked by the time the bacon is crisp. Personally I see no reason to go "low & slow" with venison, unless you like grilled liver. It's not tough, and you have little or no fat to render, so what do you expect to gain with low & slow? Bring it up to 120-125 in a 350-375 degree (or higher) smoke. Don't think I've never had a venison loin (or tenderloin) on the grill longer than 20-30 minutes. Reverse sear is a good approach! Let it rest for as long as it takes to get it to the table. Slice across the grain and serve hot. Treat it like a small piece of beef tenderloin, just don't expect it to taste like beef. It's venison! Cumberland sauce is traditional but I rarely use it. A little post cook dab of butter (or garlic butter) is much better! Embrace the mild, yet different, flavor of venison rather than try to camouflage it! Enjoy!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Boss!

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      HorseDoctor, I like All About Your Cooking Suggestions With the Exception Of the Low Cooking Temp❗️ For Safety Reasons I Believe
      160*-165* Would Be a Better Alternative‼️ Dan

Thanks much. I will cook it this weekend and let you know how it turned out.

Comment

I cannot remember the last time I ate grilled deer backstrap that was not wrapped in bacon. I just remembered why, it never happened.

Comment

I’ve always cooked it wrapped in bacon. But one of my deer hunting friends cuts it in 2” or so pieces and marinates it over night then grills it direct but on med-low. It’s only a little pink inside and very tender. Some of the best I’ve had!!!

Comment

Hmm, are we really talking real tenderloin? I’ve cooked it many times. It is a delicacy, but it’s tiny. Just grill it over direct heat, it’s done in 2 minutes. Or am I missing something? I’m thinking of the acual filets.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            If he removed a bunch of silver skin it ain't no tenderloin.

Most call it all tenderloin, rather than just loin. Hence why we need backstrap to be both technical and universal.

• jlazar
            jlazar commented
            Editing a comment
            My neighbor just said tenderloin. It may be backstrap. I really don't know the difference other than they probably come from a different area of the deer. I will include a picture when I prepare it. I know it isn't very big.

considering you have to eat the flesh of an infected animal to get trichinosis i think, for the most part, deer won't be much of a worry for that. not too many deer running down bears to feast.

i think you have a good plan for cooking it. i would use a rub that is more beef/savory than pork/sweet, though.

Comment

Danjohnston949 Hank Shaw has a pretty good synopsis on thrichina in wild game including info from the Center for Disease Control on human infection rates and the source of them. He mentions "a few stray reports" of it happening in deer yet no reports of human infection from eating venison. IMO: an extremely miniscule risk that I'll take. https://honest-food.net/on-trichinosis-in-wild-game/

Comment

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              HorseDoctor, I Will Have to Read Up on Mr. Shaw❗️ All I Can Add to
              the Conversation at this Time Is That From the Late 40's Through the Late 50's I Was Raised on Venison and All of It Was Cooked and in Some Cases Cremated‼️ Mom Couldn't Have Been Wrong, Could She❓ Later In Their Meat Market Great Care Was Taken Not to Cross
              Contaminate Game, Pork and Beef❗️ Dan

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here