Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first time venison loin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first time venison loin

i've never made venison before (outside of some hot dogs) and i haven't had straight venison meat before so i was a little worried. i made an elk roast once but it didn't turn out great so i was a little worried about this. as it turns out i didn't have anything to worry about. it was different but good.

i cut up the loin into 2 pieces back in November and vacuum sealed them. since i didn't know if i was going to like them there is no point in wasting a whole loin. my brother in law gave me a bunch of venison from a deer he got.

i dry brined at about 3pm and put it in a rack in the fridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180228_173423[1].jpg
Views:	183
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	461264

at about 5:30pm i put mustard and coffee rub on it and tied it into a tight little tube. i put it on my gas grill indirect at ~300 degrees. it took about an hour to get to 128. i took it off, dismantled my indirect setup (my grill doesn't have zones so i have to put in a rack and water pan and turn off the middle burner and put the ring burner on low). i let the grill get hot and attempted to sear. in hindsight i should have let it get hotter. the sear took too long and some parts were overcooked.

i took it off at 130 degrees and let it rest while i cooked the asparagus. the wife made sweet potatoes. it felt like valentines day again...

it was kind of a pain to slice so i gotta work on that. it turned out pretty good and i am looking forward to the next time i make it. i think i'm going to smoke it a little next time but not sure what wood to use. suggestions?

Name:	20180228_190744[1].jpg
Views:	189
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	461265

Name:	20180228_190935[1].jpg
Views:	194
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	461266

That’s looks very tasty

Comment

That looks really good! Venison can take a little smoke just fine. You can use about any suitable wood you like and/or have handy. Don't overdo the smoke cause you will over cook the venison doing so, and that's about the quickest way to screw up a nice piece of loin. Good luck!

Comment

Nice job.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

I have cooked venison backstrap before. Your's looks good to me!!

Comment

Looks very good! You can also slice into 1” steaks and season them to grill hot and fast.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                HorseDoctor commented
                Editing a comment
                Do that, and wrap them in bacon! Mini-filet mignon!

thanks everybody!

Comment

Venison Loin is some really good stuff. Lots of iron.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here