Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venison steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison steaks

I was gifted some venison steaks. Looks like slices of back strap to me. I was thinking of sous viding, but now leaning on just searing on cast iron griddle. Salt & pepper, maybe bit of fresh rosemary. Its been a while since I ‘ve cooked deer. Any better ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	21676D07-E010-4023-85DE-C849023E3301.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	452686

I did some last week. Dry brine overnight then BBBR. Then seared on cast iron. They were great.

Comment

I see questions about different ways to cook back strap all the time. And majority answers are just keep it simple and sear. If it was a whole back strap I’d say to SV then sear but those are smaller pieces so I would salt, pepper, sear. Some herbs if you want.

Comment

When I belonged to a hunt club back in the '70s, we had tenderloin medallions with biscuits and gravy for breakfast every Sat morning. The big argument was whether or not to put onions in the gravy. I thought it was great either way...

The medallions were simply fired in a cast iron pan with a bit of butter and S&P.

Comment

I’ve done deer many many times. I always keep it simple, since the flavor is so good. Cast iron, salt n pepper, done deal. Blows me away every time.

Comment

I second the above. Those look like hind quarter steaks rather than back straps, but doesn't really matter on venison because they're all lean with awesome flavor. I would season as you wish, and then just sear to med rare. They're thin and lean so they cook quickly. I wouldn't go past medium ever. Those will be fantastic. SV with venison seems overkill IMO. You might want to trim off any remnant fat cap pieces from the steaks. Some people find the flavor from whitetail fat to be undesirable if they aren't accustomed to it. More so for guests that are venison virgins. The main protein consumed in my family is venison so we'r used to the flavor and actually tastes sweeter to us than beef.

Comment

Agree with KevinG on all counts! Those look like hind quarter (round) steaks. Might benefit from tenderizing before quick sear. Jaccard type needle tenderizer, cubed like "minute steaks" or just pound out thin. Season lightly and sear quick. DO NOT overcook! Enjoy!!!

Comment

Thanks all! I don’t have a jaccard, so I think I’ll hammer them flatter and remove the fat and silverskin

Comment

I pounded them. S&P. Hot black iron with butter to rare. Served with wild rice and wine sauce with onions and mushrooms. Delicious.

Sorry, no pics so didn’t happen. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Done well!!!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here