Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bear on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear on the PBC

A while back my neighbor gifted us a leg from a bear he had gotten this year. Having never cooked bear before, I did some research, and consulted a coworker who cooks bear regularly. I decided to smoke it similarly to a pork butt.

For my preparation, I was instructed to cut off as much fat as possible before freezing, so these were very lean pieces already. I got them out, cleaned them, and dry brined them overnight. The next day I started with PBC's Beef & Game Rub, but only got one of the four pieces coated and ran out. My family had gotten me some dry rubs for Christmas this year from a relatively new, local company called Shenandoah Spice Co., so I used their Memphis Rub. I was sort of shooting in the dark as far as using a dry rub - nobody told me specifically to, I just wanted to. Turned out to be a good decision.

I used the PBC, with a little oak for my smoke flavoring. Kept the temp around 280 most of the time. As the pieces were different sizes, they came off smallest to largest as they hit the finish temp, and the biggest one took 2 hrs 45 mins to cook. Knowing the risks associated with eating bear, I made sure that every piece went to 165F before pulling it off (and I speared it in multiple places to make sure the whole piece had made it up to temp).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Feb 03, 1 05 31 PM.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	450084

At that point, the outsides looked dry, so I was worried that I'd overcooked them by leaving them on in order to kill all the bacteria, but when I pulled the first one off and cut into it, the inside was moist and looked great. These were definitely cooked to "well done", but they still tasted good.

Name:	Photo Feb 03, 12 55 18 PM.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	450085

I tasted the first piece, felt it was safe and tasted okay, so I invited the family to try it as well. I sliced it really thin, and served it with Columbia Gold mustard. My family stood around the plate, grabbing a piece, dipping, and eating it, and in no time at all, the entire piece was gone. We repeated this again when the third piece came off.

Name:	Photo Feb 03, 1 38 27 PM.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	450083

(the mustard pictured is just plain mustard - we had given our Columbia Gold to the neighbor and were trying plain mustard - the kids complained that this mustard wasn't good at all, compared to our homemade stuff)

I took a piece from the first piece over to the neighbor who'd given us the bear and he liked it, so the second piece that came off, I took him and his wife, and gave them the rest of the Columbia Gold mustard we had on hand. He said later how much they'd enjoyed it, and wanted the recipe for the mustard.

The Memphis Rub from Shenandoah Spice Company was great, so thumbs up to a new, local spice company! I'll definitely be checking out more of what they have to offer...

I was worried about whether I'd be able to fully cook this to a safe point without overcooking it, and I think I was able to stop it at just the right time to make it work out well. I was also worried about it tasting "gamey" and the family not enjoying it, but they really liked it, and so did the neighbors, so I think we have a repeatable process for the future if anyone else gives me some bear.

Looks like a great job.

Comment

I've never eaten Bear but that looks tasty! I say nice job!!

Comment

I never had bear before either but I would definitely give that a try.

Comment

Better to be the eater than being the eaten!

Comment

Looks fantastic! I saw someone on Facebook today mentioning doing a bear tenderloin today. These meat scores must be coming out of hibernation!

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I see what you did there Paul.

I Have Had a Taste of Bear Years Ago❗️ As I recall It Was Under Cooked❗️ IMHOP‼️ I think You Are Wise Cooking to Well Done❗️ It Looks Delicious‼️
            From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Did a google search of Columbia Gold, searching for a recipe, only found Mary J

Comment

You were looking in the wrong place Brewmaster it’s straight outta the BBQ Bible:

Name:	68F6E3A8-0230-46DE-807D-1BA014ABE8F5.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	450660

Comment

Nice work! I had bear once, thin strips battered & fried and thought it was absolutely excellent. Sweeter than beef, not gamey that I remember. Nice work.

Comment

Great write up! That looks mighty tasty!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here