Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Venison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison

Has anyone tried a venison roast or two on a PBC? Is venison too lean?

Haven't been able to yet. As well as the PBC locks in humidity I wouldn't be too worried about it being lean.

We made a bunch of sausage this past season. I only had back straps left and I grilled them wrapped in bacon.

I would like to tie up a neck roast one day in that dude.

Comment

Since it is very lean... I would inject it with seasoning, then reverse sear it. Basting would be good. Maybe a bacon wrap too. I would go rare on the final temperature too. I will tell you, I have never cooked venison roast (big piece) on the grill, but if someone dropped off venison to me, this would be my first approach

I've done backstrap marinated heavy & using the marinade as a baste.

Another way I've done venison is the confit method. A quick sear then submerge in oil to cook rare in over. Here's what I would like to try.... a quick sear just to get some marks/color, then a quick smoke, (or visa versa) then confit it to medium-rare

Just my 2 cents worth.
      Last edited by bocefuss; July 24, 2014, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Ok. So I tried it myself. Used a small roast (top round) from a deer I killed last fall. It had been frozen in a Food Saver bag; weighed about 2 pounds. I seasoned it with PBC Beef and Game rub. I set the Maverick 732 for a 135 degree alert. Took only about 40 minutes. Damn. My new way to cook venison roasts! Tender and flavorful; used just a few ounces of hickory chips on top of the Kingsford Original. As a failsafe I also cooked two chicken halves. They were great as well.

Comment

• archer2010
          archer2010 commented
          Editing a comment
          Also added some potatoes on modified skewers. I got the idea from an online video that I can't find again to give proper credit. Works like a charm, but takes at least two hours. Great with the chicken.

I can't wait to try something. That PBC gives off a mack daddy BBQ flavor.

Comment

• archer2010
          archer2010 commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod, did you kill a pig or two?

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Not yet.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	7716

Here is a 'before' picture of the roast with rub and ready to hang.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	7724

and the 'after' picture. Off the rods at 135 degrees. Delicious.

Comment

Nice buck in your avatar, archer! My largest was a 10pt.

Comment

Our neighbor gave us a deer shoulder from one of his recent hunts. Venison is very lean, but when we ground it with the bacon fat from our home made bacon (meathead's recipe) we ended up with the best burgers any of our guests ever tasted!

Comment

Liver Man, we did a meatloaf with 1/2 deer and 1/2 bacon ends.....bad to the bone!!!!!

Comment

• Livermoron
                  Livermoron commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice! I may have to try that...

When it comes to venison, I don't inject, and I use a minimal rub (typically just salt and pepper). It comes out really well when just smoking it. The meat quality and flavor is already top notch, so no point in dressing it up too much. Your attempt is spot on, archer. Especially the temps. Great pics!

Comment

Here is an update to my venison roast posts back in August. Because I had a surfeit of cooked meat then, the roast was vacuumed sealed and frozen. Thawed it this week. Tonight I turned it into hot roast beef (venison) sandwiches. When I opened the Foodsaver bag, the house immediately smelled wonderful. I sliced it relatively thin and cheated with a jar of beef gravy to which I added the juices accumulated in the bag. Made real mashed potatoes with garlic and a homemade baguette. Reminded me of my best experiences in truck stops around the country, only better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here