Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear

This Is a black bear roast cooked on a green Mountain, seasoned like beef prime rib and cooked at 225f to a temp of 160f. Outstanding, cut with your fork tender and super delish! Thumpmaster
    Attached Files

Comment

Thumpmaster, thanks for the bear meat pics! Killer smoke ring. What kind of pellets did you use? I love bear, very sweet and I thought it was mild and quite tasty. I've moved this post to the Wild Game channel where it is more fitting, and titled it "Bear" so it can be searched for and found easier.

It'd be nice to see some larger pics though. Ar you able to upload the photos as attachments? If so, check out this picture posting writeup, it explains how to post them bigger if you're able.
      Last edited by Huskee; December 3, 2014, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I don't see any pictures when I follow the link above.

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          me too

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too...😓

Thumpmaster, upon moving this thread into the proper channel, the pics no longer work (they used to for me). I don't know why. Can you please repost your picture?

Comment

Tiring to repost pic's

Comment

• cdd315
            cdd315 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice .. great cook!! I've never tried bear.

Huskee,
          Read pic posting and resizing tips as you suggested, but cannot get it to work, I do not get the resizing guide,
          but I did find that clicking on the smaller picture (above) opened it up to full size. I HATE computers! I'd rather kill something and cook it! Smilies seem to work ok however.
          Hang in there, you'll get me "learned" yet...

Thumpmaster

Comment

Hey Huskee, Check it out. I figured out how to do the Avetar thing! OMG, is there no limit! You can delete this after reading...

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpmaster View Post
              Huskee,
              Read pic posting and resizing tips as you suggested, but cannot get it to work, I do not get the resizing guide,
              but I did find that clicking on the smaller picture (above) opened it up to full size. I HATE computers! I'd rather kill something and cook it! Smilies seem to work ok however.
              Hang in there, you'll get me "learned" yet...

Thumpmaster
              Lol, it's working now. Sorry for all of the trouble and thanks for reposting it. You're doing great! We're here to help you show off your kills/cooks!

Comment

I have a friend (also my dentist) who'd like me to cook some bear meat for him in my pit barrel cooker. I was undaunted until he mentioned that around 10% of the black bear population in Maine (where his son hunts bear) has parasites.... so that makes cooking to a proper temperature quite important. Is 160 F (noticing this temp is mentioned here) high enough or should I treat it like a brisket/shoulder and run it up to 203 F (which I'd hope is high enough!)

Also any ideas, caveats concerns etc. are appreciated... if this is a complicated thing to get right, I'll have to pass on it... I sure don't want to kill him... he's too good a dentist.

Comment

With fish, I've read that freezing it will kill all the parasites, so now I routinely freeze any salmon or bluefish I'm going to smoke. Not sure if it applies to bear.

Comment

OK.. y'all are scaring me with all this parasite talk

Comment

Not a big deal really, but you probably don't want to know what's living on you right now! :-). I'm just trying to find some rule of thumb on cooking bear meat, really... I.e. To the pit: Suggestions, please!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here